Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Sharing Sublime Text 2 set-up on Dropbox

Sharing Sublime Text 2 set-up on Dropbox

Postby miohtama3 on Sun May 20, 2012 10:53 am

I'd like to share my Sublime Text 2 development configuration across several computers using Dropbox. This mostly because it takes some time to come up with perfect Sublime configuration :)

What folders / files

- I need to copy to Dropbox

- Then symlink to their proper locations on every computer (I'll probably do this using a script)

After there any issues with this kind of set-up. E.g. Sublime text constantly writing / holding some file open?
miohtama3

Re: Sharing Sublime Text 2 set-up on Dropbox

Postby miohtama3 on Sun May 20, 2012 10:53 am

Also would this files contain any private information if I'd want to share them on Github publicly instead?
miohtama3

Postby iamntz on Sun May 20, 2012 11:03 am

You could keep them on github, i do (or bitbucket, with offers you free private repos as well). However, some plugins does contain some private infos (SFTP plugin, for example, keeps it's license into Users folder)
iamntz

Postby S0und on Sun May 20, 2012 3:10 pm

S0und

Postby rchl on Sun May 20, 2012 6:05 pm

I'm only sharing "Packages" folder on Dropbox. Don't see any downsides with that (with not sharing "Pristine Packages" and "Installed Packages").
rchl

Postby atomi on Mon May 21, 2012 2:37 am

For whatever it's worth, I use the windows portable version and dump the whole of it into my Dropbox.
I've also forked some plugins and git cloned my forks into my packages folder. From there I push any changes I've made.
If they're worthwhile changes the package owner can pull the changes in from GitHub or if it's an important change I'll create a merge request.

Seems to work great :D
atomi

Postby SeanWcom on Mon May 21, 2012 12:11 pm

atomi wrote:For whatever it's worth, I use the windows portable version and dump the whole of it into my Dropbox.
I've also forked some plugins and git cloned my forks into my packages folder. From there I push any changes I've made.
If they're worthwhile changes the package owner can pull the changes in from GitHub or if it's an important change I'll create a merge request.

Seems to work great :D

I do the same thing. I also use the Camaleon package (https://github.com/SublimeText/Camaleon) to be able to hit F8 and switch between color schemes. I prefer a light theme here at the office (lots of harsh overhead lights) and a dark theme at home (low lighting).

I did do one trick though - I love the context menu and you don't get that if you don't install the app. So, I first installed ST2 normally into it's Program Files location. This also enabled the context menu. I then deleted the contents of "C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 2" folder and all its contents. Then I just created a symlink (mklink /d [Link] [Target]) to the location I keep my portable version of ST2 on Dropbox. So Windows thinks ST2 is installed

I'm sure there are easier ways to accomplish the context menu, but I was in a hurry and that's what worked. :)
Multiple selections... one of my favorite ST2 features. View some noob-friendly screen casts here.
SeanWcom

Postby miohtama3 on Thu May 24, 2012 8:23 am

I have created a shell script which does the sync set-up automatically on OSX and Linux:

http://opensourcehacker.com/2012/05/24/ ... x-and-osx/
miohtama3

Return to General Discussion