Sublime Forum

Sharing Sublime Text 2 set-up on Dropbox

I’d like to share my Sublime Text 2 development configuration across several computers using Dropbox. This mostly because it takes some time to come up with perfect Sublime configuration :smile:

What folders / files

• I need to copy to Dropbox

• Then symlink to their proper locations on every computer (I’ll probably do this using a script)

After there any issues with this kind of set-up. E.g. Sublime text constantly writing / holding some file open?

0 Likes

Sharing Snippets Company-wide

Also would this files contain any private information if I’d want to share them on Github publicly instead?

0 Likes

You could keep them on github, i do (or bitbucket, with offers you free private repos as well). However, some plugins does contain some private infos (SFTP plugin, for example, keeps it’s license into Users folder)

0 Likes

http://juhap.iki.fi/misc/using-dropbox-to-sync-sublime-text-settings-across-windows-computers/

I don’t have any issue with this method.

0 Likes

I’m only sharing “Packages” folder on Dropbox. Don’t see any downsides with that (with not sharing “Pristine Packages” and “Installed Packages”).

0 Likes

For whatever it’s worth, I use the windows portable version and dump the whole of it into my Dropbox.
I’ve also forked some plugins and git cloned my forks into my packages folder. From there I push any changes I’ve made.
If they’re worthwhile changes the package owner can pull the changes in from GitHub or if it’s an important change I’ll create a merge request.

Seems to work great :smiley:

0 Likes

[quote=“atomi”]For whatever it’s worth, I use the windows portable version and dump the whole of it into my Dropbox.
I’ve also forked some plugins and git cloned my forks into my packages folder. From there I push any changes I’ve made.
If they’re worthwhile changes the package owner can pull the changes in from GitHub or if it’s an important change I’ll create a merge request.

Seems to work great :smiley:[/quote]

I do the same thing. I also use the Camaleon package (github.com/SublimeText/Camaleon) to be able to hit F8 and switch between color schemes. I prefer a light theme here at the office (lots of harsh overhead lights) and a dark theme at home (low lighting).

I did do one trick though - I love the context menu and you don’t get that if you don’t install the app. So, I first installed ST2 normally into it’s Program Files location. This also enabled the context menu. I then deleted the contents of “C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 2” folder and all its contents. Then I just created a symlink (mklink /d [Link] [Target]) to the location I keep my portable version of ST2 on Dropbox. So Windows thinks ST2 is installed

I’m sure there are easier ways to accomplish the context menu, but I was in a hurry and that’s what worked. :smile:

0 Likes

I have created a shell script which does the sync set-up automatically on OSX and Linux:

opensourcehacker.com/2012/05/24/ … x-and-osx/

0 Likes