Sublime Forum

Coda 2

share it! XD

p.s. where did jon go? :S

0 Likes

What's the difference between Find and Find in Files?

Maybe he’s preparing for a final 2.0 release.
It’s been some time now hasn’t it…

Hopefully, it’s a good thing.

0 Likes

Jon’s got his work cut out for him with the official release of v2.0. Patience.

0 Likes

yeah absolutly just wondering

0 Likes

Is there any time frame as to when the “official” release of Sublime Text 2 will be. I would love to purchase it but I have a hard time justifying paying for a “beta” of anything. Keep up the good work.

0 Likes

FWIW, I have Coda 2 now and have been using it for a few hours, for HTML/CSS/SCSS.

On the plus side, the UI is very clean and attractive. Autocomplete of tags and attributes just works; welcome after the Russian Roulette completes I usually get with Sublime. Snippets are functional and accessible; of course ST snippets can be far more powerful, but for the basics I was able to quickly reproduce ones I can’t live without. The autocompletes for some CSS attributes, such as color and border, offer an enhanced popup if you want with a GUI and color picker.

File navigation and management is much better than ST2; the multitude of ways to navigate the file system are great. The path bar at the top of a document window is great, as is the new pop-up menu for every step in the path. I can drag an image to get a full image tag inserted.

Comment/uncomment works as expected; annoys me in ST2 it does not automatically toggle comments.

Air Share allows me to preview my file on the iPad, with the excellent Diet Coda. Diet Coda works with FTP and such, allows you to access files on a server and edit, rename, move etc. the files. Nice editing UI. Not as functional as Textastic, which allows you to download one or many files and edit offline, and ftp them up later.

Although Coda 2 improved its find/replace, ST2 is still WAY more powerful with multiple selections and the like. For heavy lifting in finde/replace I switched to ST2 to make the edits and then back to Coda.

Coda is (and has always been) optimized for working on entire sites, with an FTP, S3, or webDav connection. I work for sites where I have local access to the servers (over our LAN) and it’s a PITA I can’t manage my uploads to those sites automatically.

Bottom line, IMO is that Coda 2 is an attractive editor for the Mac. There are many things for “power editing” I am glad to have ST2 for, though.

0 Likes

Very interesting review, thanks ! :smile:

0 Likes

OH! MY! GOD!

Please share that theme!

0 Likes

Okay. I give in. Here’s a link to my Theme: gist.github.com/1657493 (modified version of IR_black)

0 Likes

You have the link to the color scheme (Refresh) thanks but what about the Theme?

0 Likes

Whoops. Thanks handy. Fixed.

0 Likes

Love the theme! It looks really nice with Monokai. Trying out your color scheme right now.

0 Likes

Thanks. Here’s a very good review ofCoda 2 from a Sublime 2 user. I agree with this 100%

http://net.tutsplus.com/articles/reviews/coda-2-review/

0 Likes

Mini Coda 2 Review:

I’ve been using Coda 2 last night and all day today, I’ve been a full time web developer for the last 6 years so I’m looking at it from that point of view.

My current workflow is Transmit for FTP/SFTP and Sublime Text 2. Prior to ST2 I only used Smultron or vim. I basically prefer a sparse text editor with nice syntax highlighting.

Coda 2 is really great and will do well for many web developers and also some who only know a little html/css. I think if your an advanced developer who likes plugins and likes to tweaks things then Coda 2 probably isn’t for you. It’s a little light on keyboard short cuts and there aren’t any plugins right now. I doubt they will ever match what you can do in ST2.

My biggest gripe with Coda 2 is trying to work with more then 5 files at a time. I turn off the large icons at the top and use just text so each file name is a tab. Coda 2 truncates the file names so sometimes if your file name is more then 8 characters its not clear which is which. Also if you open more then 8 files then you have a horizontal scroll to view your files.

Terminal:
There isn’t anything wrong with it but I just prefer the Mac Terminal.app, its feels lighters and faster.

Mysql:
Same thing its ok but I prefer Sequel Pro because its faster and has more features.

Books:
I really don’t see the need for this. If I need to look something up I use google like most people.

Auto Complete:
I really don’t use this in any IDE (except XCode), I prefer to type things myself, but before I turned it off Coda 2 auto complete seemed weak.

Interface:
It’s pretty and fairly quick but it has a lot of controls and buttons all over the place. It feels like you have to use the mouse way to much. Also a lot of the controls are duplicates of others. There might be 3 ways to remove a panel using a button or menu.

Summary:
If your new to web developer this is probably a great tool to help you get your work done for small sites. If your more seasoned then Coda 2 might get in your way more then it helps. Panic does really great software and I’m sure they will keep updating and improving Coda 2. I just think I’m probably not there target audience for this product.

Extra:
If you don’t have it Transmit FTP/SFTP is really great and I highly recommend it. Also Prompt on the iphone/ipad is the best ssh client I’ve used so far on iOS. I just thought I should praise them a little since I’m not buying Coda 2. I did buy Diet Coda for the iPad which I do like for what it is.

0 Likes

The biggest problem I have with it is the insistence on making a “site” and then forcing you to update a site with FTP (or the other methods). Even Dreamweaver allows you to access a remote site over the filesystem. It forces you to work a certain way, which I find annoying. I would hope that for version 2 they would have relaxed that a bit, and allow you to create arbitrary projects like ST or Textmate (or even BBEdit).

Plus, as the NetTuts reviewer pointed out, there are a lot of windows that seem redundant. Files are available in many places, not sure which I would use when. The sidebar is kind of a joke. There are some useful things there, but I wish you could have more than one at a time in it.

It’s a definite improvment over 1, but it’s certainly not the “Aha” I got when I downloaded and started using ST2. There’s just so much more there.

0 Likes

I did buy it, though, since just in case I might use it, $49 might be worth a try, but sure not $99.

Diet Coda is pretty cool, I bought that too and will be working with it. I’ve been using Textastic, which I completely recommend. Not sure Diet Coda can come close, but the UI is attractive and some of the editing methods are clever so it’s worth a try for $10.

0 Likes

I’ve been a Coda user since 2007 and have always really liked Coda. Until version 2. Coda 2 has a lot of problems and they’ve turned the overall UI into a mess. It may look pretty from the outside, but compared to Coda 1 it’s a big step backward. So much so that here I am trying (and really enjoying) Sublime 2. I wrote a quite review the other day if anyone’s interested: jeffcouturier.com/2012/05/a-review-of-coda-2/ My verdict as a long-time Coda user is not to buy Coda 2. At least not yet. It’s buggy and slow, crashes a lot, and many of the UI “enhancements” they made actually slow down your workflow compared to Coda 1. I’d wait until at least version 2.1 or later if you really have to have it. I think I’ll be dropping Coda altogether though and going with Sublime.

0 Likes

Sublime is a serious text editor - the last thing we need is a fancy GUI slowing things down. We are here to build stuff, not work inside pretty windows.

0 Likes

Don’t waste your money. Coda 2 needs a lot of work and it has a lot of bugs.
I am sure it will be a good product sometime, but not today.

0 Likes

No offense, but enjoying Coda 2 is a really subjective taste. Its horizontal navigation bar at the top is second to none if you’re a mouse user [sic], its integration with SFTP & friends is excellent, and there’s just enough MySQL in there to avoid phpMyAdmin for the most part. If you’re an AMP stack programmer, it’s worth a shot.

But beyond that, well, not as hot. I’m trying to figure out if it’s mainly Vintage mode that makes me enjoy Sublime Text 2 so much more or if the features are really that much better. Both have wacky, unintuitive keyboard shortcuts, and either’s autocomplete is far inferior (in my two full-time days of ST2 so far) to PhpStorm’s. I like the code overview “scrolling thumbnail” in ST2 a ton, which might also unfairly bias me.

It is worth saying that the GUI-esque portions of Coda don’t slow it down appreciably or eat memory like mad. I’m not sure that bloat is a fair complaint against Coda. If you use ST2’s “split” equivalent to make rows, not just columns, however, you might want to continue living in ST2. (Don’t think you can do horizontals in Coda.) And I get the feeling that scripting ST2 is easier, though I haven’t gotten that fair yet.

But I still feel it’s worth saying that Coda 2 encourages and anticipates a fairly particular editing style that ST2 doesn’t force on me as strongly, and I anecdotally feel that Coda seems to be chasing ST2 more than the other way around (?). I’ve used PhpStorm for a little over a year, and VIm with Transmit for years before that. I’m much further in the bag for ST2 after 48 hours of use than Coda 2 for the same period. And ST2 being crossplatform doesn’t hurt.

Again, if you’re not an AMP-stacker, I wouldn’t shell out for Coda 2 without trying it a few times.

0 Likes