Sublime Forum

Share configuration over multiple systems

I’m currently evaluating ST2 as a programming editor for our staff of 5 programmers. We program primarily in Python and ooRexx. Most all of us work 1 or more days per week from remote locations and use our personal laptops/desktops when doing so. These environments include 32 & 64 bit Windows, Linux, and Mac OSX. Our primary purpose for looking at changing editors is this variety of environments/platforms we work on.

A few of us go back as far as using Boxer on OS/2 and have carried many of favorite key combinations to every editor we’ve migrated to. All of that is a breeze in ST2, so no issues there. My hope; however, is that once we have a desired set of “customizations” that they can be ported to each of our individual environments. Personally, I work on 32 bit Windows, 64 bit Windows, Mac OS Lion and would prefer not to have to repeat all that work on each environment. It’s pretty easy to determine what file(s) get changed when I add an new key combination (for example), so my question is: “Is there any problem with simply copying that file(s) to the other systems (ie… different line end)?”

And 1 more question: If I understand the licensing correctly, we would need to purchase 5 licenses (5 programmers), even though we may be installing ST2 on many more that 5 systems. Correct?

BTW: I plan to do about 1 more week of evaluation before recommending ST2 to the staff. So far the only thing I have a gripe about is in the inability to turn off the “preview”. That has got to be the most aggravating “feature” I have ever encountered in any editor in 34 years of writing code!

0 Likes

I just symlink ~/Library/Application\ Support/Sublime\ Text\ 2 into my Dropbox, and it works great. I share preferences between OS X and Windows. So no, there’s no problem with simply copying the new files over.

0 Likes

Thanks. Will be back in the office tomorrow and give it a try.

0 Likes