Sublime Forum

Adding Words to Dictionary

Hello,

I have “spell_check”: true set and I love it. I only have one issue, it’s marking a lot of my city names and neighborhood names as misspelled. So, instead of just ignoring every name variation, can I add a list of words to the dictionary? If so, how?

0 Likes

Right click and click “Ignore your-misspelled-word”

0 Likes

Thank you for the response.

I’ve been going through and right click -> ignore word, but with city, subdivision, neighborhood names, there’s a lot of names. Since I work in the real estate business, I have more than 500 name/variations. Is there a way to add these 500 name/variations to the dictionary without having to right click each and every one?

0 Likes

You can manually edit your your User Settings file (Preferences -> Settings - User). Look for “ignored_words” and add your new words to the list.

0 Likes

Is there was a way to get a dictionary that is more complete? I just ignored ‘Storable’. Fixing this dictionary is constant. There are many, many English words that are not in the en-us dictionary. This is the only thing that is not rocking in Sublime Text. If it is never fixed, I will simply have to suffer because I am unwilling to leave Sublime, but if anyone has a fix for this, I would be grateful.

0 Likes

I could not find these values “ignore” in the user settings or the default settings.

I found ignore packages. But no ignore words.

Any words I choose ignore for, seem to be forgotten when I open sublime again,

0 Likes

I did find a solution to this here:

stackoverflow.com/questions/1968 … -not-learn

Though it would be nice if this happened automagically.

0 Likes

I think it’s essential to have a custom/personal dictionary we can add words to, so they’re offered as spelling choices in the future. We should be able to specify the location of the custom dictionary, so it can be shared between multiple programs.

I’m new to ST, is it possible for us users to implement this, or does it need to be done by Sublime Text staff? Is this feature planned?

0 Likes

I also think that this is absolutely the exact way it should be implemented. I’m using Sublime for LaTeX writing, and the Latexing plugin is amazing, but I’m badly missing this feature…

I really hope this functionality can be added via a plugin, and it should actually be relatively easy to code. But I fear that if it were possible, someone would have done it already. My guess is that there’s no API in place to communicate with the spell checker and feed it custom words?

0 Likes

I think it’s already fixed, but I didn’t try it:

[quote]Build 3068
Release Date: 3 February 2015
Misspelled words can now be added to the dictionary, in addition to being ignored
Fixed Ignored Words not persisting after exiting[/quote]

0 Likes

Oh, wow, it really is there and it does work! The scopes where spell checking is enabled can now also be controlled via a setting. I only wonder where the dictionary is stored and in what format.

0 Likes

sublimetext.com/docs/3/spell_checking.html
github.com/titoBouzout/Dictionaries

0 Likes

Seems as fixed. I´ve tried it now: works.
Scott/http://bestmachete.net

0 Likes