Sublime Forum

Soda Theme Updated (Soda Theme 2)

I like the new theme, and I hope you can get the folder icons to work (although having both arrows and folder icons seems somewhat redundant). I also like the new tabs, but I wouldn’t mind the old tabs, so whatever floats your boat. Of course, the ideal situation (from a user standpoint) would be to make themes more customizable.

0 Likes

Very nice work. At first, I didn’t think I’d like the square tabs, but they’re very attractive, at least here on Lion:

0 Likes

I agree. The blue dot needs to go.

0 Likes

Hi,
thanks for the update. Very nice. And for the Tab-design - I started my own theme a view months ago just because i wanted this kind of tabs. They are not so dominant and require less padding. Like them.

0 Likes

Just for reference :wink:

0 Likes

I really like the new tab design but it would be nice if you could keep an alternative version with the classic tabs.

0 Likes

So this is what it feels like to be a trend starter…

brb, updating my theme to use circular tabs.

0 Likes

I replaced the blue “LED” tab dirty indicator with a simple gray dot (attached)

0 Likes

I like the folder icons - but it seem redundant to have both the folder and arrow icon - they both simple show the state of the folder - open or close.

Would be nice if you could simply swap out the arrow icon with something - maybe that could be part of the theme?

Jim

0 Likes

Love the new tabs! But the dirty file indicator not so much. Seen some themes using a colored line at the bottom of the tab instead. How about trying that?

0 Likes

Hi,

I love the new tabs - they work well with Lion. Thank you!

Regards,

Rob…

0 Likes

I love the new find buttons! The new tabs are sweet also but I they’re a little taller than Refined’s tabs.

0 Likes

Find panel buttons seem out of place in Windows and Linux for me - I’ve only seen this style in Safari, while the old ones were more generic and nice. I may be just used to the old ones, however.
Regarding the tabs: if the menu is not hidden (it is hidden in design screenshots), they miss some kind of top border.

0 Likes

It’s amazing how a new theme can create an entirely different impression of an application. I surrendered and gave your theme a try. Your tabs are very classy. I still prefer my autocomplete panel and quickpanel, maybe because they’re dark-themed. If you do create a dark theme, maybe take inspiration from this theme and use tweetbot’s style for modified tabs.

0 Likes

+1 for not-so-tall tabs whose tops don’t quite touch the top of the app’s title bar.
+1 for more angle on tab ends so we see more “tray” behind tabs, making them more distinct from one another.

0 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback so far, really appreciate it.

I’ve pushed an update for Soda Light that now includes both square and curved tabs. The tab style can be toggled via a user setting. Square remains the default at the moment, but to opt into using the curved tabs, add the following line to your “Settings - User” file:

"soda_classic_tabs": true

I’m still looking for an elegant way to handle custom settings. I’d like to use more than just booleans, and be able to group together all Soda settings under a single namespace rather than introduce a bunch of top level custom flags that may conflict with each other. If you know how to do that in a way that can be then read by a theme, please let me know :smile:

Here’s a screenshot of the two tab styles for Soda Light:

0 Likes

UPDATE:
Nevermind, found out that I had to set “highlight_modified_tabs” to true.

Original:
Great work! It looks like the blue dot that signifies a file has unsaved changes has gone away in this version. Was that intentional? While I didn’t like the look of the blue dot it was good to have a way of knowing if a file had been modified.

0 Likes

[quote=“stofte”]Just for reference :wink:

Ouch, looking at XP’s outer surrounding chrome I can feel your pain :wink: I’ve pushed an update that allows toggling the tab style to a varient of the original tabs using “soda_classic_tabs: true” in your user settings. Hope that helps.

0 Likes

Nice work Ian! 2201 will be out soon with high dpi support, so if you’re in the midst of making images, you may want to do them at 2x resolution (saving the high res versions as foo@2x.png if the normal res version is foo.png), so it’ll look a bit nicer on high res displays.

0 Likes

Any chance to get an update for dark version anytime soon? I really like the square tabs & dark things :smile:

I think you will make a lot of fan boys very, very happy!

0 Likes