Sublime Forum

Sublime Text slow to start

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but can some-one tell me why SublimeText takes so long to start?

I am on a great setup 8GB RAM, Windows 7, very little programs running, good CPU, etc

I am trying to migrate from Notepad3 from Flo, but am having trouble understanding why ST ‘feels’ bloated, and slow to start.

Otherwise it’s a great text editor, but can I haz lightning fast startup time please?

For those who fire ST up, and then keep it running, this is not an issue.

But I regularly close programs and open them up again.

If this performance issue is not fixed anytime soon, I will jsut not invest any more time in it.

0 Likes

Do you have any plugins installed? Does it become performant if you revert to a freshly installed state? What’s printed in the python console?

0 Likes

No plugins installed. I am just trying ST out for the first time.

My point here is, after years upon years of using Notepad2/3 from Flo, I am used to the editor appearing ‘instantly’ when I open it up.

With ST, this doesn’t happen. A small price to pay I think, but still ST is great.

I guess I’ll have to put up with it.

0 Likes

How long exactly does it take to start for you? It’s only a couple of seconds for me with loads of plugins installed and a lot of buffers opened in multiple windows.

0 Likes

The very first time Sublime Text starts up, and after installing a new version, it does some initialisation that takes a bit of time. After that, you should be seeing quick startups. The time in reported in the console, with a line similar to:

startup time: 0.528284 (package setup was not run)

That’s the time I see when restoring a session with 3 windows and >200 open files.

0 Likes

I’m getting somewhat comparable times, within 300ms, but cold boot with a cold cache can be quite a different story. I’ve seen 8-9 second startups, the majority of that would definitely be plugins, with my crappy 5400rpm hard drive deserving of some of the blame.

Some sort of lazy loading and cache/index would be awesome (ST3 perhaps)

It’s worth changing your habits if it irks you so much. You can also set ignored_packages on stuff that you don’t use day to day.

0 Likes