Sublime Forum

Sublime Text could be the best IDE but

Hello all,

I’m new on this forum. In fact, i heard about ST 6 month ago and i use it since now 1 week only for** web development**, so this article talks about my web developper point of view.

I use also some others IDE (Visual Studio 2010, Netbeans and Dreamweaver). When i discovered ST2, i thought that it was really DIFFERENT.
This IDE has something more : from my point of view, it’s the fastest when you want edit code, really intuitive and very fast.

What i really love and want in others IDE :

• A wonderfull interface. :smile:
  • CTRL+ P seek (really awesome). :astonished: I win lot of time with it cause i know my projects.
  • CTRL + F seek, Snippets and shorcuts are better too.
  • And the packaging is really cool.
    Use ST2 + ZenCoding really changed my life :smiley: . Some others packages are really usefull too.

Those elements make me really happy use it but, for those reason, i’m obliged to use Dreamweaver in complement of ST2 :

• Project managing sucks really hard. You can’t copy-paste a file into a folder.(still using Dreamweaver for that).
  • There are** problems of color** when you use differents languages inside string("…"). For example when you call an ajax page and you want to use a PHP variable : “GET”,“url…/<?=$myVariable?>”. The PHP isn’t colored differently, and u can make some mistakes when you make harder code.
  • When i’m on css page, css completion is good, but when i’m on a php page, there are no css completion when i do :
    The **recognition of environment **isn’t perfect. I mean that the IDE doesn’t recognize the change of language in the same page.
  • A documentation could be good for functions(Javascript-PHP for example). :question:
  • And the final point is the most important and why i still use Dreamweaver : there is no native bug correction :bulb: . Sometimes it’s just a simple problem of syntax, and you can’t see it fast.
  • Even if those points should make the IDE louder, i think they are necessary.

I’m sorry if my english isn’t perfect, i’m not a english native^^
    I don’t know any perfect IDE but I’m sure that ST2 have a wonderdull future and it can be the best IDE if it integrates those things.
    Tell me what you think about it and tell me too if i made mistakes about the “bad” elements list (it’s highly possible), and maybe the ways to correct or improve it (packages for example).

Thx for reading and maybe for answering.

–Tazlle.

0 Likes

That’s great but Sublime Text isn’t an IDE. It’s a text editor. It’s not supposed to have every feature built-in. That’s why there’s plugins.

1. SidebarEnhancements
  2. A lot of people have worked to improve the default tmLanguages (the files that define the rules for syntax coloring). You can look at those or try making your own if you’re familiar with regex and hate your life.
  3. This is another thing having to do with the tmLanguage file.
  4. I’m not sure what you mean here.
  5. Check out the variety of linters available in Package Control. There’s not a native linter because it’s not an IDE and people use ST for their own needs.
0 Likes