Sublime Forum

Projects: Can I Make One From Individual Files

I’m not a developer, so I might use Sublime in a different way than a lot of you here. I have only been using it for a bit, so I was wondering if someone could help me get a grasp of creating projects made up of a few select files, instead of just folders/directories.

I have a folder that is full of plain text files–hundreds of them. I might want to create a project–a book, for example–from several of the files within that folder. In TextMate, I could drag the individual files (say, book_chapter_1, book_chapter_2, etc) into the drawer, and save that as a project called “My_Book”. I could open a single file within a project and then close the tab, and it would still be there in the sidebar if I needed it later.

In Sublime, I can create a project, and add the folder that contains all the text files. However, I only want those individual book chapter files. I was able to set something up by editing the project file to only include those files that have book_chapter in their filename. However, for me, this seems like a lot of work and will only work if I happened to have named everything correctly in advance.

Also, if I just drag the individual files into a project, they appear under “open files”. However, if I close the tab for that file, it will be gone from the project. It seems that I can only keep folders, and not individual files. And if my individual files are scattered across my system, I don’t even know what to do. I would have to add every folder, and then edit the project file to only include that particular file? I feel like I am doing this wrong and there is an easier way.

Am I approaching this wrong? Is there an easier way to work with a project made up of a few select files?

0 Likes

Maybe a more concise way of asking this is: Is there a way I can have a project made up of several discrete files (instead of a filtered folder/directory), where I can close their tabs without losing them from the sidebar?

0 Likes