Sublime Forum

Help Migrating from Coda 2

Hi there,

I’m a mac user that has used Coda for years, the new version has annoyed me enough to now look elsewhere. Sublime looks like an exciting alternative but I’m unclear on how best to use it in the manner I used Coda (which if it had worded reliable was quite ideal)

The work I do is mainly html/jquery type work.
I publish from Coda out to our AWS server
and source control is managed for the whole team via SVN.

this process once set up was quite simple - can anyone point me at a tutorial or set of instruction that would allow me to set up the same workflow using Sublime?

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Chris

0 Likes

If you really like Coda 1, can’t you just keep on using it and skip Coda 2?

Sublime Text is great, but I’m not sure how close to “use it in the manner I used Coda” you can come.

0 Likes

The first thing you’d probably be interested in is how Sublime handles projects. Start by dragging a folder into it. This will open the folder in Sublime. Next go to the Project > Save Project As… menu and save it with a nice friendly name. Once you’ve done this with at least two folders, you can use ctrl+alt+p to quickly switch projects. This is awesome because each project keeps track of your window configuration and open files.

To upload files to a web server and work with SVN (from within the editor), you’ll need to install a couple of packages. Most users use the package manager I built called Package Control because it makes installing and keeping packages up-to-date really easy.

I wrote two packages, SFTP and SVN that sound you like be interested in. The both currently sell for $16 each, or $27 combined. There are some other free FTP-related packages available via Package Control, plus two Tortoise SVN packages that are also free. See wbond.net/sublime_packages/community for the full list of packages available via Package Control. You can also install other packages off of GitHub by using the “Add Repository” command.

There is a lot of flexibility and power available in Sublime, and most users that I’ve shown in to have really come to love it. It takes some time to really appreciate everything that it includes and what is possible.

I gotta get back to support requests. Good luck!

0 Likes

Also a Coda 2 user. I have found it to be pretty buggy, unfortunately. Though I did the interface, personally. wbond is right that you’ll want the Package Manager for sure (thanks for that awesome tool, wbond!). And his FTP packages are nice. His FTP does not work like Coda’s where you get a running list of files you have changed and then have the option to publish, I don’t believe. I think you can publish all files since your last commit and use up/down syncing tools so it is a bit different. I also recommend the package SidebarEnhancements.

One of the toughest things for me was to get used to editing preference files and not really having a more “Mac-like” interface. So be patient, if possible, because you won’t get the hand-holding available in Coda and it might seem a little intimidating. I also do not like how you cannot split the window of a single document… you can split the window but it affects the entire work area so, even when switching tabs, the workarea is split. But the powerful editing tools available in Sublime Text really make it a joy to use.

Here are a few resources to get you started:

net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/tools … nd-tricks/
wesbos.com/sublime-text-2-tips/
blog.stuartherbert.com/php/2012/ … velopment/
brentmountford.com/tutorials … tup-usage/

I hope this helps! If you like the auto-updating previews in Coda you could use something like Codekit (incident57.com/codekit/).

Scott

0 Likes