Sublime Forum

Drag selection?

Is it not possible to select text and then drag it within a document?

0 Likes

What do you mean by that? Select and drag, like from one tab to another tab within windows or from another editor to sublime text editor? Clear the question. May be i can help you!!

0 Likes

In other editors I can select a chunk of text, click that selection and hold down the mouse button, and drag that chunk to another location in the same document. I can’t do that in Sublime Text, unless there’s a trick to it I’m not seeing.

0 Likes

There is no trick. I’m missing it, too. :cry:

0 Likes

I’d like to see this as well; hopefully it would not be too much trouble to implement.

0 Likes

Personally I hate this behaviour, it does not seem intuitive to me wrt normal mouse text-selection behaviour. So please make it optional! :smile:

0 Likes

You can do this using the keyboard.
Just select text, the hit ctrl+shift+up/down (I think).

I don’t know a way to do this using the mouse, but I’m also afriad that it will be unintuitive.

0 Likes

Personally, I’ve always found that feature annoying; it’s easy to accidentally release the mouse button and then chaos ensues.

For me “search” + “keyboard selection” + “cut” + “search/go back to bookmark/etc to go destination” is always much faster and reliable.

0 Likes

At least on my old pc navigating in sublime text using the keyboard is relative slow for some file types with a komplex tmLanguage definition. Moving 30 lines up and 5 words right takes a while using the cursor keys.

At this occasions clicking and dragging with the mouse is much faster, especially on my new megasized monitor.

0 Likes

Hi,

I’m new to Sublime Text and absolutely loving the clean UI. Yet after an hour or so I stumbled over the fact that dragging text didn’t work (which is, let’s say, a bit surprising for a commercial text editor). Is this on the cards for the next version?

Thanks,

Michael

0 Likes

It’s not because it’s a commercial text editor that Jon as to include every crappy function from other text editor… Your remark is really uncalled for.
I don’t think that drag selection is in the philosophy of this application, but it’s Jon (amazing) works and I will not allow myself to answer for him.

[quote="_ michael"]Yet after an hour or so I stumbled over the fact that dragging text didn’t work (which is, let’s say, a bit surprising for a commercial text editor). Is this on the cards for the next version?
[/quote]

0 Likes

I like to see Sublime as a platform to build your tailor-made editor, so I’m generally against cramming it full of features. In particular, I don’t miss dragging text around in the least, but that’s just an opinion. I’m just making sure it’s voiced here. :wink:

0 Likes

+1… Another person who misses the drag feature for moving blocks of code around in a document. But yes Ctrl+Shift+Up/Down seems to be the next best thing.

Simon.

0 Likes

Count me as another person that absolutely hates it when selections can be dragged with the mouse. For me it is totally counter-intuitive behavior and I have only succeeded in accidentally moving text with this “feature”.

That said, everyone is different and I can imagine that this feature might be very intuitive and helpful for someone else. If this functionality is added, I would suggest using it along with a modifier key. So, for example, you could only drag a selection if you are holding down the ctrl key at the same time. Also, please add an option for people to be able to disable it.

0 Likes

Yes. I’m a convert from TextMate (I wish TextMate were cross-plat), I use the hell out of a click-drag selection on a daily basis for quick edits. I can guess as to why there might be issues with implementing this cross-platform.

I use it so much, though, it’s actually the main reason I cite for not actually purchasing Sublime Text 2 currently. Might seem trivial, but it’s really been an annoyance for me.

0 Likes

Like some others, I don’t miss click ‘n’ drag within the editor. But… I sort of miss it between applications. I’ve been tripped up a couple times on this, but in the end it’s not a huge deal, especially since cut ‘n’ paste usually works just as well.

0 Likes

Drag and drop text with mouse

+1 for drag selection

0 Likes

+1 for drag selection.
I’ve been using this on a Mac and when I have another program that called drop zone that allows me to drag text and it’s automatically sent to pastie.org. Extremely handy when working on Textmate. This would be a huge plus for me to make the switch completely.

0 Likes

+1 for drag selection

I wish it at least had the option. I like to be able to drag big portions of text around while also having different text saved into the clipboard.

Omitting it from what is otherwise a great app seems a little short-sided.

0 Likes

Consider this another request for drag and drop text movement, which is a standard interface feature on Mac OS X (and has been for a very long time). When I try to drag and drop text and it doesn’t work, it’s a constant reminder that Sublime Text is not a Mac OS X application, and still needs to try harder to work like one.

0 Likes