Sublime Forum

Update costs for Sublime?

For years I used BBEdit, but eventually I got tired of their stream of updates that all seemed to cost $50, but didn’t really add anything I cared about, so I recently switched to Smultron. A couple of days ago I heard about Sublime and I’ve been trying it and it’s amazing! The price seems reasonable as well.

One question: what’s the upgrade cycle like? It sounds like Sublime has a much more reasonable cycle than BBEdit, but just wanted to know what people think. I like Sublime’s features, but would really like to hear that it’s a program with reasonable non-paid upgrades between major-release paid upgrades, rather than BBEdit’s model.

0 Likes

Minor version changes are free (and since the v2 officially came out few months ago, I guess we are „safe” for an year or so).

If i remember correctly, Jon said that major version bump (v2->v3) will be paid.

0 Likes

OK, that sounds good. Sublime already has more features that I’d use than BBEdit did, though the documentation is a bit sparse. Definitely seems worth trying to reprogram muscle memory. And I have a good vibe about the policies and attitudes of the company.

0 Likes

Just so you know, your best bet for up-to-date documentation is here: docs.sublimetext.info/en/latest/index.html

0 Likes

Sublime is much more powerful then Smultron. I used Smultron 3.x for about 4 years while it was open source. Once the Mac App store launched he closed the project and added it to the store for $5. Smultron isn’t bad but its no were near as good as Sublime Text 2.

0 Likes

I agree 100%. Smultron wasn’t as powerful as BBEdit, but for the kinds of (statistics) projects I work on it was clean and had some nice features.

Sublime steps it up to vi-like power (a compliment in my book) in a GUI. For example, imagine taking a column of 100 numbers, adding a comma to the end of each then joining them into a single line. Sublime lets you directly do this without regex, though I believe you could also do it that way as well. When I saw the overall interface and the multiple-cursors idea, I knew I’d like it.

0 Likes