Sublime Forum

Select full tag?

One of the features I love about the editor I’m trying to give up is the ability to select a full HTML tag and all it’s contents with one command. So if my cursor is anywhere within the opening or closing tag and I hit the keys for “Select full tag” I’ll get a selection that includes the opening tag, the contents, and the closing tag.

Is this possible with Sublime Text?

0 Likes

I too am trying to give up my other editor for Sublime and this is one of those make-or-break features I am finding hard to leave behind with my old editor. Any chance this is in the works?

0 Likes

Read this topic for details and examples:
CSS Select ( WebDevelopment Package)

And use this package :wink:

0 Likes

Looks cool. I wish it was less diabolically difficult to 1) find the home of the tool [the link is on page 3], 2) figure out how to install it (with no git setup) and 3) figure out how to use it. These soundless screencasts are cool, but as a new user of Sublime Text I could use a little more help.

0 Likes

1. download sublimator’s AAALoadFirstExtensions as Zip (top-right corner “get source >>”)
  2. download sublimator’s WebDevelopment as Zip (top-right corner “get source >>”)
  3. open sublime text, choose on the menu: preferences > browse packages
  4. extract both zip files into this location. if you want things to be tidy, rename those directories since bitbucket turns those name to lower case (i.e. rename aaaloadfirstextensions -> AAALoadFirstExtensions, and webdevelopment -> WebDevelopment)
  5. you should get two new directories under that location
  6. to use it, on sublime menu choose: preferences > per-type key binding > WebDevelopment > default - here you can see the key binding to use
  • next step is to use sublimator’s ZenCoding, you should be able to do it by your self now…

enjoy :smile:

0 Likes

Thanks vim, that was a big help. I was experimenting with renaming the source zips with a .sublime-package extension.

0 Likes

someone got up on the wrong side of the bed? :unamused:

0 Likes

Hmmm… If the author is badmouthing it maybe I should reconsider? And you’ll have to go back quite a bit farther to guess my editor: ColdFusion Studio 5 (basically HomeSite), even though I haven’t touched ColdFusion in years.

I take it you’re not pursuing development of your WebDevelopment package sublimator?

0 Likes

[quote=“ow1n”]Hmmm… If the author is badmouthing it maybe I should reconsider? And you’ll have to go back quite a bit farther to guess my editor: ColdFusion Studio 5 (basically HomeSite), even though I haven’t touched ColdFusion in years.

I take it you’re not pursuing development of your WebDevelopment package sublimator?[/quote]

is quite good package, believe me I use it a lot in when I’m in coding mode :stuck_out_tongue:
It does have some glitches and is NOT perfect. It behaves at least 98% of the time for me. All features work as expected.

Only downside is the xml parser the plugin uses which is VERY strict, and I mean strict as in using " " the parsers craps out ( USED TO!, sublimator patched this for us! :smile: )
I think sublimator is bad mouthing it because the plugin doesn’t meet his coding ethics and standards (which I know are very HIGH lol) and of course is a little buggy in some cases. And it will fustrate the hell out of the regular user. I think any average coder will be good. * If your new to HTML and know nothing about coding and standards don’t use this package, it will fustrate u lol*

I use it all the time I highly recommend u use it if you do a lot of web coding, it works wonders and saves a shit load of time specially when the document gets big. I recommend u stack it with ZenCoding package for a truly powerful HTML/XML coding experience! Trust me on this :wink: I been using these packages ever since they were babies lol :smiley:

Light years ahead of it… only advantage npp has is the highlighting of matching tag… nothing else.
And really I don’t miss it at all and I don’t even think is an advantage… why?

I can select beginning and ending tag easily… to rename perhaps
I can jump back and forth to end or beginning tag whenever I want to.
I can jump back and forth between all children of a certain tag.
I can jump back and forth between all tags in my documents.
I can select content inside the tags whenever I need to replace something. (works with multiple selections too)
I can “pretty print” / tidy, tags (and their children) automatically.
I can use jquery syntax to select my tags… ex: ul#nav; li.something; td:even; etc…

I don’t see why I would need the highlighting of the tags other than for looks. Notepad++ will probably never have this power I don’t even think other editor out there can match it. (maybe vim or emacs :stuck_out_tongue:)

0 Likes