Sublime Forum

"This build has expired"

Hi,

first, I am loving the Sublimetext editor, but…

Wanted to start the editor right now, but couldn’t and then I’ve got the message
'This build of Sublime text 2 has expired, pleaser download a new one."

This message would be OK as far I could start the editor, but I couldn’t.
It’s a paternalism to me.
In case I have no internet connection available I can not download the new build and can not use the editor anymore! :astonished:

Please make it possible to start the editor in any ways.
I want decide myself, if I want to install a new build.

Thanx for the great product!

0 Likes

If the build has expired, perhaps you are using a pre-release (beta) build? This is a very common practice with beta releases.

0 Likes

Yes, I think it was a pre-release build that was public downloadable on the website.
Common practice doesn’t mean, that this is a good practise.
A warning message that the build has expired is a good practice, but that I can not start the application anymore is very very bad.

0 Likes

I think there is nothing wrong with this practice. Betas are expected to be buggy, and this practice limits people from using and complaining and filing bugs for a no longer supported build. It forces users to use an actual supported release.

There will always be people that disagree with a devs practice, but it is what it is, and it is the devs right to do this, especially if it keeps them from having bugs filed that are no longer relevant to supported builds.

0 Likes