Sublime Forum

Sublime Text 2 vs Chocolat

Hi everybody :wink:

Iā€™m trying to decide which will be my next (and new) text editor and the decision, at the end, is between Sublime Text 2 and Chocolat.

So, Iā€™m just asking to you, what should I choose? (I know that, obviously, everybody will point at ST2, but I would like also to know why I should choose it)

P.S.: What Iā€™ll do with the text editor is mainly HTML, CSS, PHP and Javascript, I think. At least, for now.

Thank you! :smiley:

0 Likes

Both editorā€™s allow you to try before buying so that is a good place to start. I only tried Chocolat for a few minutes before deciding it wasnā€™t for me. I think sublime offers a lot more features and expandability via plugins. Chocolat had a pretty interface. Iā€™ve also read Chocolat isnā€™t as fast for syntax highlighting or opening large files.

I used Sublime Text 2 for about 3 months part time before deciding to make it my full time editor.

0 Likes

I think Chocolatā€™s USP is the emphasis on ā€œMac-likeā€ GUI conventions. ST2 is decent Mac app, but has some concessions due to being multi-platform.

ST2 is likely more powerful, but also a bit more fiddly.

My gut feeling is that ST2 will be around and supported for longer because it appears to be quite the commercial success. As long as Jon doesnā€™t ā€œpull a MacroMatesā€.

0 Likes