Sublime Forum

Nightly Build 2219

Thanks for the update! :smiley:

But for the copy_with_empty_selection, can the Ctrl+C don’t copy return control character at the line end?
The natural action is the user press the enter key himself at where he want the line to be pasted and Ctrl+V, it’s very odd to put the copied line 1 line above the desired location as the current Ctrl+C behaviour.

0 Likes

It’s fine for me. Assuming it’s only sluggish for you when using the arrow keys, rather than the scroll wheel, it’s likely cause by a plugin doing work in on_activated.

0 Likes

Overall performance does feel a lot better now, though I still get higher pixel throughput via parallels+win8+st2 (kind of scary). Scrolling in the goto anything overlay is also pretty bad for me (using trackpad to scroll, not keyboard).

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]

It’s fine for me. Assuming it’s only sluggish for you when using the arrow keys, rather than the scroll wheel, it’s likely cause by a plugin doing work in on_activated.[/quote]

No, just scrolling with the trackpad using two fingers.

0 Likes

Captured a video that demonstrates the slowness with the goto anything overlay. In the clip I’m scrolling the text both with and without the goto overlay showing, but just scrolling the goto anything overlay is also choppy.

0 Likes

Does the “copy_with_empty_selection” simply enable/disable that feature, or are there more settings?

I love empty selection copying. The only thing I dislike is Cmd+Shift+V doesn’t seem to put it at the right indent level.

0 Likes

It looks to me like the theme you’re using has alpha blended images in the overlay, I suspect this would be causing the slowdown.

0 Likes

Indeed, changing to the default theme there’s still a visible slowdown with the goto panel visible but not as bad with the theme I usually use. Although if OpenGL is now used for pushing pixels, how large of an effort would it be to do the blending with OpenGL too? :wink: (I wouldn’t count this as a high priority item btw, just curious)

0 Likes

On my machine same situation, after back to regular theme from Soda light ST2 cursor is much faster. Of course with Soda it is now almost OK, but with normal theme it is much faster. It is espacially visible with TextExpander.

0 Likes

I’m seeing a rather noticeable scrolling speed improvement on a Cinema Display (powered by a Macbook Air) with gpu_window_buffer.

0 Likes

about the cinema display with an air: I have the same setup but only use the cinema display about half of the time. Does it make sense to enable the preference permanently? What happens when connect and disconnect the external screen?

0 Likes

There shouldn’t be any harm in enabling gpu_window_buffer all the time, barring any opengl driver issues. There’s a possibility it may have a negative effect on battery life, but assuming that OS X is going to be using the gpu for window compositing in any case, it may actually improve it. On the topic of battery life, the best way to extend that within Sublime Text is changing the caret_style to a non-blinking one.

0 Likes

Am I the only one experiencing opposite/no effect?
Enabling gpu_window_buffer adds significant lag for typing while not improving scrolling/repainting speed at all on default theme comparing with previous build.
And yeah, goto anything in Soda theme is slow as hell on both settings :smile:

0 Likes

Hi Jon, any recommendations on what should be done here theme wise?

Leave it as is with transparency and let core rendering improvements take care of performance, or change the theme design for this component to remove the alpha on the edges?

0 Likes

It’s only an issue on retina displays (due to 4x the number of alpha blended pixels to process), so the best temporary solution is probably to remove the alpha channel from the @2x versions of the images. I’d like to improve the performance of this area in the future, but it won’t happen for a while.

[quote=“que”]Am I the only one experiencing opposite/no effect?
Enabling gpu_window_buffer adds significant lag for typing while not improving scrolling/repainting speed at all on default theme comparing with previous build.[/quote]

What hardware and Sublime Text build are you using? The setting doesn’t need to be enabled on retina, it’s auto setting will enable it.

0 Likes

Hi Jon,

Retina MBP and 2219 nightly.

I know, I was trying to toggle it to see if there is a difference.
Video showing typing lag: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18933210/gpu_window_buffer_lag.mov.

When I decided to redo the video and remove my project name from it - I wasn’t able to reproduce the lag.
So it only happens when I have large Rails project opened in the sidebar (there is a project opened in the video, I just cropped it).
When I close all projects, or open small one (e.g few flies only) – there is no lag.

0 Likes

Since this build, i can’t drag the minimap ! :astonished:

0 Likes

I confirm what jeff1326 just said! Since the update, I can’t simply click on the minimap to drag the scrollbar.

0 Likes

Not that I have had any issues with it, but maybe:

Give that a whirl.

0 Likes

[quote=“keogh”]Not that I have had any issues with it, but maybe:

setting

Give that a whirl.[/quote]

I worked, I first tried with minimap_scroll_to_clicked_text to true, but I had to put it to false to make it work. Thank you!

0 Likes