Sublime Forum

Synchronizing ST2 over several machines

Hello :smile:

Iā€™m a proud and happy new owner of a ST2 license, but I am not a coder, so please bear with me, if and when I ask questions, to which all of you have always known all the answers :smiley:

Apart from its astonishing features as an editor, the main reason for my using it is I can use it on Windows and Linux: and so I installed it on my two machines ( both Windows and Linux Dual Boot).

So how do I easily synchronize those four installs (2 Windows 7 x64, 2 Linux (Ubuntu 12.04 x64))

How do I do that?

Thanks a lot!

0 Likes

I use the portable version of ST2 and have it installed in my Dropbox folder. That way it auto-syncs. Many other people store their data folder in a Git repository that they keep maintained and synced between machines.

0 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

So ā€œsynchronizingā€ means synchronizing the ā€œdataā€-folder, right?

• Couldnā€™t I simply copy my ā€œdataā€-folder to my web pace for synchronizing?
  • Will the packages work both on W7 and Linux?
0 Likes

As far as I know, yes - the data folder and its contents are all you need. Since I use the portable version, I just have the entire app in a dropbox folder, so Iā€™m not 100% certain on that.

As for the packages, all the default packages should be fine on any OS. Anything you add beyond that depends on the package and how it interacts with the OS. Iā€™ve got quite a few packages installed and Iā€™d be willing to bet that most (if not all) of them work just fine. Just be aware that some plugins have external dependencies that would have to be configured for each OS.

0 Likes

By data folder do you mean the User folder (in packages)? If not, that should be all you need. I know many users just sync there User folder via dropbox or git. You can either clone/copy these directly into the Packages folder, or sym link it. If you are using package control (which you should be if you arenā€™t already) it will install packages in the installed list if they are not there. Actually, there is currently a bug in Package Control so this particular piece isnā€™t working as expected. Anyways, you will still have to find some good way to manage plugins that donā€™t work on both platforms if you have them (I havenā€™t run into the issue yet). Just thought I would point out those details since I wasnā€™t sure what you meant by ā€œdataā€ folder.

0 Likes