Sublime Forum

Portable Mac

I am working in a university environment.

The macs are all deep frozen (reset on each reboot) and I would like to use ST2. Is there a way to install the mac version on a USB key with all the data and everything there?

thanks.

1 Like

I was also wondering if this is possible. I am in the same university situation, and would love to use my ST2 settings during class.

0 Likes

Hi everyone,

+1 for this feature. Can anyone tell me if this is being worked on? I am interested in having a USB with Sublime Text since I develop for various contracts and like the aforementioned University example some places have pretty strict IT policies about new software installs. So a USB version would be ideal since it would save alot of paperwork for some of my clients.

If it is simple to do for Mac, maybe a quick page with a how to?

Thanks. :smiley:

0 Likes

If you make a folder named ‘Data’ inside the application bundle, under the Contents/MacOS folder, in should transform into a portable version.

0 Likes

1. How is this not documented anywhere?
  2. Does this still work in 2019?
0 Likes

This does indeed work even now and in fact works on all OS’s that Sublime runs on (I use it myself on Linux and MacOS all the time for example). What makes the portable Windows version portable is that the zip file contains a folder named Data in it, but it’s the only version that ships that way by default.

I don’t know why it’s not documented, but it may be because it’s probably not generally recommended by Apple to fiddle around inside of app folders, although that’s just a guess.

0 Likes