I'm having the same issue. Nothing I try is enabling Vintage mode. I've tried:
1. quarnstar's suggestion above.
2. Adding ignore_packages to my user config.
3. I'm not able to edit the default Preferences. So, I unzipped Default.sublime-package, edited Preferences.sublime-settings, re-zipped the package, removed Ingnored Packages.cache.
4. Adding Vintageous/Vintage to both Packages and Installed Packages under $HOME/.config/sublime-text-3.
5. Adding Vintage to the ignored_packages, and then removing it.
Any other ideas?
I'm running the linux x64 tarball on Fedora 18.