Sublime Forum

Please make ST3 available in OSX 10.6.x

[quote=“natewiebe13”]Not sure if you read the blog post, but:

[/quote]

brew install clang?

Not that I care, I’m on 10.8 :wink:

0 Likes

port install libcxx is all that’s needed (I’m sure there’s a brew formula as well.) I can understand not wanting to ship with an external dependency like that, but it sure would be nice to offer the possibility for those of us who already have libc++.

0 Likes

There are 3 core reasons why 10.6 compat is challenging:

1. C++11 toolchain, specifically libc++
  2. No OS support for shared memory mutex and condition variables (added in 10.7)
  3. A third one that slips my mind for the moment.
0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]There are 3 core reasons why 10.6 compat is challenging:

1. C++11 toolchain, specifically libc++
  2. No OS support for shared memory mutex and condition variables (added in 10.7)
  3. A third one that slips my mind for the moment.[/quote]

The Department of Energy?

0 Likes

My work computers are 10.6.8. This is a huge disappointment for me.

0 Likes

Hi there

I’m sorry to be a pain but I think you really do need to support Snow Leopard.

Apple are surprisingly mean with their updates; there are many Macs (e.g. even some very recent ones - i.e. Macbook airs) who can’t upgrade to Lion.

Plus even if you can, you may not want to. The differences are similar to going from Windows 7 to Windows 8 - I wouldn’t mind upgrading at home, but it’s definitely not something I’d want to do on a work computer.

0 Likes

I fully understand that the technical limitations mean that it won’t be possible to release ST3 for 10.6.x. But ouch, it hurts not being able to use ST3 without switching to an OS version that I have avoided like the bubonic plague.

0 Likes

…why?

0 Likes

Because it’s ok to use a 3 years old OS but switch to latest beta of the editor :mrgreen:

And, of course, OS-es are like wines: older == better!

0 Likes

I hate autosave (and the auto-quit/auto-resume feature) with a passion. It can cause dataloss in the (for me) very common scenario of loading a file, editing it, then doing “Save As” to another filename. That “feature” alone is enough for me not to ever switch to Lion or later voluntarily.

Then there’s the new defaults like inverse scrolling (I suppose it works for a touchpad or touchscreen, but I find it completely counterintuitive for a mousewheel), conversation view in Mail.app, autohiding scrollbars, half-baked full-screen “support” which is useless on multi-monitor setups, auto-correct, more restrictive sandboxing breaking apps, a dumb app-store rather than being able to install software the way I chose. I know I can disable those things or just ignore them, but why bother? Paying to switch to another version of an OS, which takes time to install, where I need to fix the settings to something sensible, yet gives me no benefits? No thanks. There is quite literally not a single change that is useful to me or an improvement to my workflow. Mountain Lion and Mavericks get rid of even more things that I use and do not offer any improvements I find compelling. It may work for some users, but it’s not for me. Heck, I’d rather switch to Windows Vista or even Windows ME!

0 Likes

Most of the features are configurable, so you can switch them to the old way.
Either using a checkbox in System Preferences like for the inverse scrolling, or by searching the net and pasting something into the terminal.
Perhaps you should do that first. I don’t know how long 10.6 will be supported? To Security issues etc?

And you don’t have to use full screen if you hate it?

0 Likes

[quote=“layne”]Most of the features are configurable, so you can switch them to the old way.
Either using a checkbox in System Preferences like for the inverse scrolling, or by searching the net and pasting something into the terminal.
Perhaps you should do that first. I don’t know how long 10.6 will be supported? To Security issues etc?

And you don’t have to use full screen if you hate it?[/quote]

I don’t think you’ve read my entire comment, as I already mentioned those things being able to ignore/shut off all the stupidity, but the question is: why should I have to put myself through the process of being annoyed for absolutely NO tangible benefit and many things that are seriously deficient. The autosave thing is the main dealbreaker. Literally: it alone is enough to ensure that I will not switch. I don’t mind if others do switch and/or prefer the later version, as other people have different preferences and workflows, but the question was why I avoided it. This is it.

And when 10.6 is no longer supported? I’ll keep using it. If it becomes too insecure? I’ll switch to Linux or Windows.

0 Likes

I mean, you would be able to use ST3…

Also, I know you don’t want to have to turn things off, but it is possible:
osxdaily.com/2012/08/22/turn-off-auto-save-os-x/

0 Likes

I never saw a fanboy that hate an apple product that much! :mrgreen:

0 Likes

Haha, I am not a fanboy. I use Linux, Windows and Mac OS in about equal measure for work. Of the three, Mac OS is actually my least favourite one as it gets in the way much more than the other two and at times seems user-hostile rather than user-friendly. 10.6 is at least tolerable. Later versions seem to me to be (trying to be) too smart for their own good and changing things just for the heck of it or for the sake of touchpads/touchscreens (Microsoft has fallen into that same trap with Windows 8, though 8.1 seems to be fixing some of that – though unfortunately not my main gripe with the OS).

Point conceded. If push comes to shove, I find installing Windows 7 on an iMac a more inviting prospect than upgrading Mac OS though.

Turning off autosave would only half solve the problem though, as that doesn’t seem to bring “Save As” back. The schism between the Lion-aware and non-Lion-aware programs for this essential feature is particularly jarring. This seems to be a better solution for Mountain Lion, though actual lions have to jump through fewer hoops in a circus.

0 Likes

I would love to see sublime on snow leopard. there is a call for it, i can assure you.
i think for many if appl hadnt gotten rid of spaces and the colour i could have put up with it, but alas losing grid spaces was the killer for em.
Im not a fan of all these applications dropping backwards compatibility to force users to upgrade, what happened to choice

0 Likes

The thing is, Apple also adds features every OS, and usually these make things easier (or possible at all) for developers. Jon has already stated that he’s using features that simply don’t exist in 10.6.
If grid spaces are the only thing keeping you back, and you can spare $18, there’s always totalspaces.binaryage.com/.

0 Likes

[quote=“shdon”]
Turning off autosave would only half solve the problem though, as that doesn’t seem to bring “Save As” back.[/quote]

Bring “Save As” back from where?

Other than a few Apple-made apps such as Keynote or TextEdit (which use “Duplicate” rather than “Save as”), I rarely find apps that don’t include “Save as,” even under Mountain Lion (even Apple’s own Mail.app offers the feature). Versions/Autosave are systemwide features that apps CAN use, but they certainly don’t have to. In fact, Sublime Text 2 and 3 offer “Save as,” regardless of OS X version.

Sounds like you may be having an overreaction to something you previously experienced or heard about Lion and/or Mountain Lion, but I assure you, I “save as” all the time on 10.8, and nobody’s come to take my Macbook away.

0 Likes

I have 3 Apple computers all running 10.6.8, and would love ST3, but will not upgrade my OS to use it.

0 Likes

I second that.
After using ML for some time, I switched my main Mac desktop back to Snow Leopard: It’s a leaner, faster OS.
And I’ll keep using ST2 if ST3 is not available, which would be a shame.

0 Likes