Sublime Forum

If drive not available; cannot run sublime text

ST v.2.01

I code from a USB stick. Occasionally I start up Sublime Text without first putting in the stick.
If I leave a folder in the project which originates from the USB stick, and I open Sublime Text, I get this message:
“There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive X:.”

I have the options:
Cancel ; Try Again ; Continue

None of these options work if I fail to insert the USB drive.
Instead, I must follow these steps to close ST.

1. Click Continue or Cancel. (Try again does not work unless you have the USB drive.)
  2. Sublime Text window appears.
  3. Close Sublime Text by using X (File>Exit will lock it up and cause a forced close).
  4. Click Continue or Cancel again, two times.

Note: You cannot open Sublime Text 2 until there is a drive letter available that it wants.

0 Likes

I had a similar issue, but the problem was more with the fact that my current session was from my old computer, which was pointing to a project that was on an external drive. So, when I got to work, I kept receiving this error. My solution was to just delete the session (I forget what it is named exactly) file in the …\Data\Settings directory. This way Sublime Text doesn’t try to open up a non-existent file. I also recommend altering your personal settings so that any session information is not saved on exit. This will cause problems, unless you are working only on files that are also on the USB drive.

Anyways, I know this isn’t the same problem as yours, but I figured it was close enough to at least share with you. I hope you can solve your problem!

[NOTE]: I am using Sublime Text v2.01 on Windows 7/8.

-Ingshtrom

0 Likes

This issue still occurs in 2017 on Sublime Text 3, latest build. It took me a minute to figure out what was going on. It keeps saying “There is no disk available in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive H.”

I had a look, and there isn’t any drive H, until I realize that it populates when I insert a usb drive. It doesn’t matter how many times you hit cancel, the dialog keeps reappearing. Eventually if I wait a minute or so, it will let me close it, but I still can’t access the program. I can only click X to close it.

0 Likes

do you have the AutoFileName plugin installed maybe?

0 Likes

I don’t use anything that is not part of the original software including plugins.

In the case referenced, the user is typing when this plugin attempts to auto populate paths from an external source. This is not the same as what we’re experiencing. I’m not saying the issues aren’t tied together… just in our experience it has nothing to do with the plugin. The person with the plugins might actually be experiencing the software bug through the plugin. :slight_smile:

Our experience is the software attempting to resume its last state with files/folders from an external source.

0 Likes

No plugins here either.

0 Likes

ah I see, sorry I’m on mobile and not really reading things properly :wink:
I guess as a workaround you could start ST with a fresh session by renaming the Session.sublime-session file in your data folder (see https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/revert.html for details), best if you didn’t quit ST while you had any unsaved files

0 Likes

Saved or unsaved, the behavior is the same. As stated, its when an external folder/file is saved in ST session, its trying to return to the previous session state loading those folders/files non-existent drive path.

I appreciate your workaround to kill the entire session. However, since I usually have several projects loaded in session, I’d rather not have to reload them all again each time I forget to unload the external source folders/files.

It would be more beneficial for ST to check the path while restoring the session and then forgetting only the paths that do not currently exist (or at least skip/overlook them; keeping in session for a later load) rather than throwing a never-ending error loop until the path exists again. Thats the ideal solution that has gone unresolved.

0 Likes

I just tried with Windows 7 and ST3125, and it opened with no problem even without the USB stick plugged in that contains files opened in the previous session, such that my G drive no longer exists

0 Likes