Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

ST3: async callbacks are not async

Re: ST3: async callbacks are not async

Postby schlamar on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:46 pm

@jps
I'm no native speaker so I don't know if the term "half-baked" is meant offensive (because it shouldn't). That's the reason for the prefix ;)

I get your point and would agree with the current design if every plugin get its own worker thread and the implications are clearly stated in the docs :)
schlamar

Postby sublimator on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:04 pm

schlamar wrote:@castles_made_of_sand
Thanks for the update. The other async library I'm currently working with is queuing automatically callbacks on the main thread so I missed this. But as you already have pointed out, a fix is really straightforward.

If you are going to criticise something you should at least show you properly understand it.

Your example revealed the depth of your consideration on the topic.

You are really suggesting that for each plugin, for each *_async callback a new thread is spawned automatically ?
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt
sublimator

Postby schlamar on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:59 pm

castles_made_of_sand wrote:You are really suggesting that for each plugin, for each *_async callback a new thread is spawned automatically ?

No, one thread per plugin, so that one plugin cannot freeze another one.
schlamar

Postby sublimator on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:22 pm

Just cause you were surprised by the *_async behaviour doesn't mean they don't currently have uses, as is.

schlamar wrote:No, one thread per plugin, so that one plugin cannot freeze another one.

Just use your futures and threading and get on with it and even while using the *_async, don't do too much work.

Build the abstraction you want.

schlamar wrote:No, one thread per plugin, so that one plugin cannot freeze another one.

Just throw the callback on a spare thread in a pool type thing?

Gah, I've got too much of a headache to talk more about this now! Sick with a damn fever.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt
sublimator

Previous

Return to Technical Support