Sublime Forum

ST3 on Windows not usable (cannot edit Settings files)

I have a new fresh install of ST Sublime Text Build 3012 Setup.exe.
I launch it, paste in my license, then do

Preferences | Settings - User
when I save the file, my changes (usually) get reverted immediately in the file. e.g. just adding “font_size”, that element will dissapear immediately from the file.

Preferences | Settings - Default
the file opens, but it cannot be edited & I see this in the console
Unable to open /C/Documents and Settings/agr/Application Data/Sublime Text 3/Packages/Default/Preferences.sublime-settings

I browsed for it, and
/C/Documents and Settings/agr/Application Data/Sublime Text 3/Packages exists but the Default/ directory does not exist.

This is Windows XP SP 3 = yes I know it’s ancient as dust but I dont have control it’s a corporate workstation.
Guess I’ll go back to ST2 unless someone has ideas. Thanks!

0 Likes

I’m not sure why your file is getting reverted. Are you sure it’s saving in the proper location when you do save (i.e. User/Preferences.sublime-settings)? The default savings are part of the .sublime-package files, thus are opened as read only. This is due to the fact that ST now works with the packaged sublime-package files, rather than needing to extract them. This, imo, is safer as it keeps people from accidently overriding the default settings, which I believe will be overridden again after any update. For more information about overriding .sublime-package files, see sublimetext.com/docs/3/packages.html.

0 Likes

skuroda, not sure- I am just accessing the settings file through the Preferences menu and doing Ctrl-S to save.

I am able to edit my settings file now. It must have been a transient problem- very weird!

I understand what you mean about not allowing editing the default settings file, however I think ST3 should suppress this error to the console then:
Unable to open /C/Documents and Settings/agr/Application Data/Sublime Text 3/Packages/Default/Preferences.sublime-settings

0 Likes