Sublime Forum

ST2 Open Folder

Hello,

I am using ST 2.0.1 on Windows 8 64-bit. I quite like the ability to open a folder tree and engage with the file system representation through ST2 directly. I have one MAJOR grievance though: when selecting a folder to open as a view, directories suffixed with a “.” are displayed as the text that appears before, and directories that start with a “.” appear as blank. This is driving me crazy.

For example, two directories:

D:\Code\PHP\SF2_Clean.stable-master
D:\Code\PHP\SF2_Clean.dev-master

Both of these directories appear as “SF2_Clean” in the “Browse for folder” dialog that appears after choosing “Open Folder…” from the File menu. Trying to even find a folder to open in the first place is a huge issue if it appears under a folder that starts with a “.”, as these just appear as blank. Because of presumably Linux/Unix origins, a lot of the toolchains for various programming languages often rely on conventions such as creating a “.” folder in the user’s home directory for storing configuration. If I open my own user directory under Windows with ST2 “Open folder…”, I see about 20 blank directories before I see any named ones.

This is one thing that is preventing me from adopting ST2 for more of my coding purposes. And, the fact that it breaks convention with the majority of other folder viewing controls that Windows provides is very frustrating.

My question is, how can I fix this? Can I even fix this?

Cheers,
Ross

0 Likes

Open Folder uses the standard windows folder browsing dialog, SHBrowseForFolder.

A better alternative is to simply drop a folder onto the window via windows explorer.

0 Likes

I will use the alternative and drag a folder.

Please note that with SHBrowseForFolder you do have options about the type of dialog box to present to the user in the BROWSEINFO structure. I believe there are more modern options.

0 Likes