Sublime Forum

Path Management (Without Package Control)

In another attempt to pull myself from the vim world, I’m giving ST2 yet another run.

I’m trying to manage my own packages with git (like I have done with vim + pathogen).

I really have no interest in using Package Control, which seems to be the collective response I’ve found so far.

I’m trying to Install packages into Packages/User with no luck.

What directory are you suppose to install third-party packages into? I assumed User to have a clear distinction between your packages and the default shipped packages with ST2?

But all package READMEs say to (Use package control OR) install them in the /Packages folder which seems messy mingling your custom packages with the shipped packages.

Is there a way to add a location for ST2 to look for packages?

0 Likes

This is cleaner in ST3, but in ST2, everything needs to exist in the Packages folder. The distinction of User vs other packages is simply that the User directory is loaded last. As such, any key bindings, settings, etc that are set in the User directory will override anything set by other packages. Out of curiosity, why don’t you want to use Package Control (I don’t know much about pathogen, but I’m guessing it lets you do something package control doesn’t)?

0 Likes

I would just like to be able to manage and version control my own packages…

Pathogen basically makes the plugin path recursive, so you can nest and manage plugin files, Pathogen + git allow you to manage all of your plugins in a centralized config location via submodules.

I mainly don’t want use package control because it relies on a centralized database of plugins. Not all useful plugins exist within this database, and what happens when that reference goes away?

I would much rather be able to add a Package path for instance, that seems reasonable to me. To simply in my user prefs say, “Hey, also look in this directory for packages.”

So for now I’ll just have to symlink everything into /Packages… huge pain.

0 Likes

Ah I see. I would say you could get around plugins not existing as part of the database with package control, as you can add your own repositories/channels, but I’m not sure how package control handles references disappearing. Just as an FYI if you ever go to ST3, the installed packages are not run from the packages directory. So you will be able to do a single symlink of the Packages directory.

0 Likes

Ended up just making an install.sh script that does all the linking for me…

github.com/jondavidjohn/subl

Yeah, I just don’t need the extra overhead hacking around package control to try to do something as simple as this. I’m ok with this setup, although it would be way cleaner to be able to modify the ST package path.

0 Likes