Sublime Forum

User.sublime-settings has no effect

I need to be able to specify some user-specific settings without putting them in User/Preferences.sublime-settings because this file gets overwritten by certain commands. I would have thought that User.sublime-settings would be a perfect place for this but this file doesn’t seem to get loaded, which is unexpected. I’ve tried putting the settings in a few other places, including creating a new package, but nothing seems to work.

This is what I’m trying to add:

[code]{
“font_size”: 11.0,

"theme": "Soda Light.sublime-theme",
"color_scheme": "Packages/Tomorrow Color Schemes/Tomorrow.tmTheme",

// "theme": "Soda Dark.sublime-theme",
// "color_scheme": "Packages/Tomorrow Color Schemes/Tomorrow-Night.tmTheme",

// "theme": "Flatland.sublime-theme",
// "color_scheme": "Packages/Tomorrow Color Schemes/Tomorrow-Night.tmTheme",

// "color_scheme": "Packages/Theme - Flatland/Flatland.tmTheme",

}[/code]

0 Likes

Also, how the hell do I subscribe to this topic so I can see when someone replies to it?

0 Likes

From the look of the settings you are trying to add, you want to be able to cycle through various color schemes and theme. I can’t recall the names of them, but I believe there are plugins to help with this. Setting those values outside of that file don’t do anything (as you’ve seen). There are plugins that can set the view settings when they are loaded. This would allow you to place it in an arbitrary file.

The User/Preferences.sublime-settings only get’s modified when you modify a setting. For example, change font size or change the color scheme through the menu. The only way I can think of accidentally forcing the settings to be overwritten is by using ctrl+scroll wheel to modify the font size. You can change that command mapping so it doesn’t happen. Other than that, you would have to go through a menu, or hit a particular set of keys. But to me that has to be more deliberate.

There is no way to subscribe to a thread. Why is it disabled…don’t know.

0 Likes

Okay thanks for the replies. Yes I’ve started using QuickThemes to handle this and it works quite well. I still think it would be nice to be able to use User.sublime-settings, I can’t see why the User package should be different to any other package.

Also, this forum software is not very good. I subscribed to be notified when anyone posts replies to this and haven’t received anything. Also, it’s pretty un-intuitive to use. Can I suggest the wonderful Discourse (discourse.org/) it’s quite new, but looks very promising, and has one of the founders of StackExchange behind it.

0 Likes