Sublime Forum

Freezing when indexing files with long random string

I develop Javascript and I am using a tool called browserify that generates a source file (.js) with an embeded “source map” which consists of a long string of seemingly random characters all on one line inside source comments. I have been seeing Sublime Text freeze when I open this file, or if I just start typing the name of the file in the smart-goto-file text box. I use a file watcher that regenerates this file every time I modify one of my source files, so it makes sense that Sublime Text is having to reindex this file everytime it’s regenerated. In terms of total file size, the file is actually not that large, it is 61k uncompressed, compared to jQuery’s 290k uncompressed, and jQuery opens without a problem, which is why I suspect it’s the long string of characters in the sourcemap, which I have also confirmed that if I generate the file without the sourcemap, the problem goes away.

If you want to see an example of this large embeded source map, you can find it here gist.github.com/airportyh/5515944. I didn’t include the rest of the Javascript source code because that is proprietary software.

Best,
Toby

0 Likes