Sublime Forum

What kind of help topics are you missing?

Post here any topic/idea that, in your opinion, would improve the documentation.

There might be a chance that some members of the “community” could find some time to help write unofficial docs.

Also, this thread will perhaps have an useful side effect: the ideas posted here could guide Jon efforts to expand the official help.

Thank you!

0 Likes

Honestly the only thing I think Sublime is missing in the way of documentation is a wiki. Would make it insanely easy to contribute and keep up to date, as well allow any desired moderating. Would be great if a mediawiki or some other flavor of wiki was tossed up on the domain.

0 Likes

When I first started with Sublime, I was really lost.
A few of the things I’d have liked:

• Amazingly important: better docs on using multiple selections. This is Sublime’s killer feature, and the one new things most people will never have seen before. There are a lot of tricks to using it, and they need to be explained. (By the way, I also think this feature is still “underdeveloped”, since there are a lot of things you can’t do with it yet that would make it much more powerful, but that’s for another day).
  • Better explanation/collection of the various plugins. I still have a lot of things I’d like to have work, like tags (etags), which I think a plugin exists for, but I don’t have the time to find it/install it.
  • Better docs on the various keyboard shortcuts Sublime offers. For example, I still don’t know how to do basic things like selecting all the text inside a function, or how to jump between functions (don’t know if this exists, actually). This kind of things makes coding much easier.

A few of the things I’d like as a plugin developer:

• A lot of the documentation is non-obvious, and more examples would be great.
  • A lot of things completely lack documentation. For example, I have no idea how scopes work, and it seems like it’s something I should get to know at some point.
  • I haven’t looked into this, but I think there’s not that much documentation on language files.
0 Likes