Sublime Forum

"True" Block/Column Select

I’m still new to ST3 and learning things. I come from Notepad++ and I really like how block select worked there as well as many other editors (such as Visual Studio as well). Basically I could hold down ALT+SHIFT and use the arrow keys to create a perfect selection rectangle. All valid characters in the block would be selected and I could copy them.

However in ST3, not only is column mode more cumbersome to use (it becomes more of a toggle in ST3 rather than something that can be enabled quickly by holding down modifier keys), but it doesn’t behave the same as I expect based on previous experience with the aforementioned editors.

Is there a 2nd block select mode in ST3 more like what I describe or is this what I have to deal with? The way it works now isn’t really useful because once I press CTRL+ALT+UP to set the number of rows in my selection, pressing RIGHT or LEFT causes carets on different lines to move independently, which causes some strange selection patterns.

1 Like

ST3 only has one way.
Personally I find it to be about 1000 times better than all other column selects ever anywhere else… Maybe give it another shot?
And have you tried alt-dragging a box?

0 Likes

[quote=“adzenith”]ST3 only has one way.
Personally I find it to be about 1000 times better than all other column selects ever anywhere else… Maybe give it another shot?
And have you tried alt-dragging a box?[/quote]

Well I don’t want to use my mouse, with Notepad++ I don’t have to use my mouse either. :frowning:

0 Likes

In what scenario are you trying to do a block select? Perhaps there’s a better way to do it in Sublime Text?

0 Likes