Sublime Forum

[ST3, Build 3047] Unable to edit Settings - Default

Hey,

I downloaded and installed ST3 Build 3047 and wanted to activate vintage-mode.
Unfortunately I’m unable to edit the “Settings - Default” File - even with administrative rights.

Anyone here to help me?

Thank you very much
Timo Kuchheuser

0 Likes

I had the same problem as you.
If you browse to sublime’s configuration folder (C:\users<user>\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 3\Packages) you’ll notice that the Default folder is missing. If you create that folder and then open the default settings and save them you’ll be able to edit the settings.

0 Likes

Hey eblis,

thanks! That did it!

Cheers,
Timo

0 Likes

Never ever edit the “Settings - Default” File.
You MUST edit the “Settings - User” File.

Open the “Settings - Default” File and copy only the settings you want to change in the “Settings - User” File (located in C:\users<user>\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 3\Packages\User\Preferences.sublime-settings).
This way your settings override the default’s one.

In ST3, “Settings - Default” File is zipped in a .sublime-package file.

0 Likes

[Solved][Question] How to edit Preferences.sublime-settings file in my package?

Hmm… Ok. Thank you.
I wasn’t aware, I could overwrite the “ignored_packages” variable with an empty array.

Cheers,
Timo

0 Likes

[quote=“bizoo”]Never ever edit the “Settings - Default” File.

Open the “Settings - Default” File and copy only the settings you want to change in the “Settings - User” File (located in C:\users<user>\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 3\Packages\User\Preferences.sublime-settings).

In ST3, “Settings - Default” File is zipped in a .sublime-package file.[/quote]

Ooops, today I learned :smile:

0 Likes

You MUST edit the “Settings - User” File.[/quote]

No, you know what, don’t tell me what to edit. You’re welcome to present your case for why modifying the default settings is a bad idea, but that’s as far as you go.

If you want to unlock editing for the default settings in ST3, install PackageResourceViewer and open Default/Preferences.sublime-settings. Thereafter, they will no longer be read-only.

0 Likes

In ST3, “Settings - Default” File is zipped in a .sublime-package file.[/quote]

Especially when default key bindings are broken for many users in package like Alignment. :unamused:

0 Likes

where can i find this path in OSX??

0 Likes

Select Sublime Text -> Preferences -> Browse Packages... to open the Packages folder in Finder. The full path is /Users/YourUserName/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages.

If you’re on Linux, the path is /home/YourUserName/.config/sublime-text-3/Packages.

0 Likes