Sublime Forum

Expired build, sublime text 2 not available?

I just visited the site, and was forced to update the url myself.

I’m not sure where “it is at the first post” but I only see the version 2.0.1 on the download page.

I suggest this should be updated.

0 Likes

Hi everyone!

I’m very new to Latex and I am a little bit lost after this update.
I was using sublime text 2 and I had the same problem you are reporting here.
I downloaded the update, but the option “build” is still not working… I can edit my files and so on, but creating the pdf is not possible.
Do you know what might be wrong?

Thanks a lot!

0 Likes

Refresh the page guys…

The link to 2.0.2 is there but it took a Ctrl-F5 to get it

0 Likes

Do these forced updates also apply to licensed versions? The 2.0.2 version is frustratingly slow for me (over sshfs). I’ve been feeling a bit guilty about not jumping in and buying after testing driving for a few months, but now I’m glad I waited. If all builds expire, that just doesn’t sit well with me.

0 Likes

This has been really inconvenient for me I must add and I’m actually really surprised that a normally reliable and carefree piece of software did this.

Like MJMitche, I was confused about what I was downloading here. I installed the beta thinking that was the version I needed to download, only to come across this thread and install the correct one. My file associations are screwed now too and to be honest, I’m pretty wound up. I don’t understand why the build had to expire.

I just hope for the next build, you don’t expect people to repeat what happened here. Or at the very least you could warn us that this would be the case.

Sublimes the best text editor out there, please dont ruin it.

0 Likes

I just want to add… this is completely retarded software design.

I had a fully functional piece of software, but what happens when I start my day to get some work done? BUILD EXPIRED.

Seriously, is it too hard to just show a notification that a new version is available? Why do you PREVENT me form using the program altogether? What if my internet would have been down and I would have been unable to download? No work then?

And now the fun starts, after downloading sublime 3, of course I have to manually move all packages and stuff from the sublime 2 library, because why would you do this automatically upon install… Not to mention that 90% of packages don’t even work yet for sublime 3, nor does it seem that anyone cares:

github.com/SublimeLinter/Sublim … issues/344

Issue open since january, no one assigned.

All in all, really great. Prevent me from using a perfectly fine and working piece of software, force me to download a new version at a time which is inconvenient to me, no support from packages for said new version, AND dare to charge more for it. Who’s brilliant idea’s were this? If we’d run our business like this we’d have no clients left.

0 Likes

This is insane.

Our copies af ST2 are also refusing to work today and saying we have to download a newer version. The problem is that we are business users and our IT service provider has to test and validate any new software before it is installed on a business PC. This can take weeks to do. And we have to pay for them to do it.

Why on Earth do you disable the old version?

We simply cannot use ST2 if periodically the software disables itself.

Come on guys there must be a workaround for this so that we can continue to use ST2…

Rob W

0 Likes

[quote=“RobWebb”]This is insane.

Our copies af ST2 are also refusing to work today and saying we have to download a newer version.[/quote]

According to a post by jps:

So this problem is supposed to have been fixed. What version are your currently running?

0 Likes

I don’t get either why you would completely block the running of a working software…

An obvious workaround is changing the system date to a previous one.

0 Likes

Just curious, do the people who are seeing the expired build message licensed or no? I normally use ST3, but I started ST2 and got a prompt for about the update. However, the build (2.0.1) was still usable after I closed it. I’m not validating the whole expired build thing, but I’m just curious who is seeing this error.

0 Likes

2.0.1 expired only for unlicensed users. Licensed users are able to use 2.0.1 without issue.

0 Likes

Utterly ridiculous that I can’t use an expired build and must upgrade. This is what happens when developers don’t have proper user experience designers involved. A great concept is marred because the zoo has no keeper.

Anyway, I upgraded to the new version, can’t get package control install to go through at the console and thus, can’t install anything the easy way. Oh and the new build required me to re-rule my proxy settings. Another great, pointless step.

Seriously guys, you want us to take this editor seriously? Make it more user friendly and automate it this mundane stuff.

0 Likes

[quote=“ZachJ”]Utterly ridiculous that I can’t use an expired build and must upgrade. This is what happens when developers don’t have proper user experience designers involved. A great concept is marred because the zoo has no keeper.

Anyway, I upgraded to the new version, can’t get package control install to go through at the console and thus, can’t install anything the easy way. Oh and the new build required me to re-rule my proxy settings. Another great, pointless step.

Seriously guys, you want us to take this editor seriously? Make it more user friendly and automate it this mundane stuff.[/quote]

You can install package control manually for ST3 (git clone the repo then checkout the python3 branch). I’ve been using it for quite a while now. I haven’t used 2.0.2 so I can’t comment on that specifically.

0 Likes

Interesting how all guys with issues are new to forum and, bonus, they are just trying out the software (so they are not buyers)

I just wonder how your IT service provider agreed to use a beta or trialware… :mrgreen:

0 Likes

[quote=“mwb1100”]

[quote=“RobWebb”]This is insane.

Our copies af ST2 are also refusing to work today and saying we have to download a newer version.[/quote]

According to a post by jps:

So this problem is supposed to have been fixed. What version are your currently running?[/quote]

We are running registered installs of 2.0.1

0 Likes

I read the all previous comments (admittedly at quite a speed - sorry if I missed this) but my problem is that the links on the Download page for all platforms still point to version 2.0.1:

In the order shown the links in the above screenshot currently (17th July 2013) point to the following URLs (wrapped in code block to prevent forum software from automatically re-formatting URLs):

http://c758482.r82.cf2.rackcdn.com/Sublime%20Text%202.0.1.dmg
http://c758482.r82.cf2.rackcdn.com/Sublime%20Text%202.0.1%20Setup.exe
http://c758482.r82.cf2.rackcdn.com/Sublime%20Text%202.0.1.zip
http://c758482.r82.cf2.rackcdn.com/Sublime%20Text%202.0.1%20x64%20Setup.exe
http://c758482.r82.cf2.rackcdn.com/Sublime%20Text%202.0.1%20x64.zip
http://c758482.r82.cf2.rackcdn.com/Sublime%20Text%202.0.1.tar.bz2
http://c758482.r82.cf2.rackcdn.com/Sublime%20Text%202.0.1%20x64.tar.bz2

Notice they are all 2.0.1!

From the Sublime homepage a large blue Download for Windows button is displayed (for me) under which it states “Version 2.0.2, 64 bit”. This button points to the URL:

http://c758482.r82.cf2.rackcdn.com/Sublime%20Text%202.0.2%20x64%20Setup.exe

Notice this is version 2.0.2.

@Sublime - please update your download links!

0 Likes

I think you missed the most obvious one:

[quote=“kentcoast”]Refresh the page guys…

The link to 2.0.2 is there but it took a Ctrl-F5 to get it[/quote]

0 Likes

I had a perfectly good working version on a machine that has no internet or freely available usb acces due to security reason. I am however still a student so I didn’t buy the license. I choose sublime as my editor but I’m regretting it now. I do not have a working editor that I’m comfortable with at the moment.
If the paid version has the same limitation, count me out. This is not professional software.

0 Likes

[quote=“berendho”]I had a perfectly good working version on a machine that has no internet or freely available usb acces due to security reason. I am however still a student so I didn’t buy the license. I choose sublime as my editor but I’m regretting it now. I do not have a working editor that I’m comfortable with at the moment.
If the paid version has the same limitation, count me out. This is not professional software.[/quote]

How did you get ST on there originally then? The paid version does not expire (jps confirmed this).

0 Likes

thing goes bad…
I have 2.0.1 it has expired. 2.0.2 is portable and I can not just update. I need to use it as new one?
I have many configurations that I can not repeat on 2.0.2. Just copyng not work. sad sad sad…
very bad mood

May be you do installator for Windows. So I can easy update to 202?

0 Likes