Sublime Forum

"open folder" not working with sshfs mounted folder

I’ve mounted server via sshfs, trying to open a folder to make quick on server changes.
Sublime Text failed to open a folder, constantly showing it empty, no matter what folder I’m choosing.

Using all other applications - nautilus, krusader, gedit - are possible without any glitches to access any folder or file
Sublime Text 2 seems not working at all while Sublime Text 3 could open (with about 30% chance) a folder once, but then it failed to do that at all no matter what I do (restart it, unmount/mount, etc)

I’ve tried to change settings by populating folder_exclude_patterns with directories with a lot of files, and specifying “index_files” to false - nothing helped.

What else could be done to make Sublime Text work with mounted servers?

Thanks in advance for help!

0 Likes

Here how it looks like - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ebzJkhwyX8)

As you can see everything on the remote server is pretty accessible, no problem on retrieving directory/files lists, but SublimeText failed to load the content of a folder

0 Likes

This sort of behavior is unfortunately fairly common in FUSE-based file systems, especially those which depend on an SSH connection.

If you want something a bit more robust and easy to use, you can try something that I’ve been working on called ‘xeno’ (xeno.io). I was similarly having problems with SSHFS (more to do with a shoddy connection than the editor acting weird), so I put together this Git/SSH mashup as a replacement for SSHFS. It will allow you to open up files/folders in Sublime Text (or any local editor really) over an SSH connection, and automatically synchronize changes to the remote machine. You can even start your local editor from inside an SSH session and have it continue to synchronize changes to the remote after you quit the SSH session. It should work on almost all POSIX systems (I myself use it from OS X to connect to Linux machines and edit files in Sublime Text).

What it does is generate an out-of-worktree Git repository of the files you want to edit on the remote machine, and then clones it locally and uses Git over SSH as a transport/synchronization mechanism. This does not interfere with any existing source control, and it also does not require you to use any existing source control. And because it’s built on Git, it’s extremely fast and supports automatic merging of files that might be changing on both ends, unlike SSHFS which will just clobber any files with older timestamps.

Plus, because you are editing local copies of the files, you don’t end up depending on a virtual filesystem which has rather unpredictable behavior, and you can even drop offline and have your changes automatically pushed to the remote when your connection comes back up.

It’s also free and open source :smile:, and I’d really love some feedback.

0 Likes