Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Save not reliable

Save not reliable

Postby dehy on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:00 am

Hello there,

I'm experiencing a weird bug...

My setup :
- OS X 10.9
- Sublime Text 3 nightly (but tested on 2.0.2 and same thing)
- VMWare Fusion 6.0.2 (with debian) with Shared Folder on a web project. PHP files are in OS X folder, web env is on virtual machine, accessing through HGFS shared folder.

The problem :

When I save a file, there is a lot of chance (95% maybe) that this file gets "corrupted" or not updated when read by the VM. Examples :
Most of time after save, PHP tells me "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in ...".
Sometime i change a few characters in code, save, then refresh and the change made does not appear.

When it came :
I think this bug arrived with OS X 10.9 (update from 10.8). I do not remember this bug on 10.8.

What I tried :
- Enabling or disabling atomic file saving. No change.

The workaround :
I need to multiply characters (like 3 semicolons at end of a line), save, then refresh page and problem solved. It's like forcing the app to see that I changed something and forcing it to re-save the file correctly.

This problem is not present when editing the same files with another editor like Coda.

Thanks for you help, Sublime Text has many advantages over others editors (like file reading and color syntaxing speed!), it's hard to not use it! :)
dehy

Re: Save not reliable

Postby dehy on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:26 am

It may be a VMWare Fusion bug but not confirmed : https://communities.vmware.com/thread/4 ... 5&tstart=0
It seems that when adding bytes to the file, everything works correctly. But when removing bytes somewhere in the file, it removes it at the end of the file. That's why I got "unexpected $end..." with PHP. When I read the file with vi from OS X, file is correct but when i read the same file from Linux VM, the end is missing.

Since using vi or TextEdit does not trigger the bug, maybe the method Sublime Text saves the file can trigger the bug.

Thanks!
dehy

Postby qgates on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:47 am

Is atomic_save enabled? Check your default prefs, then user prefs.

I've heard about some edge-case issues with it, though it's never caused me problems. Try changing this setting; it's explained in the default prefs comment.
qgates

Postby ckd on Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:18 pm

Interesting, I also see this behavior with atomic_save enabled and disabled, but not with TextEdit or BBEdit.
ckd

Postby bobbthebuilder on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:11 pm

Running into this same issue.

Tried atomic enabled and disabled and that doesn't seem to fix it. Tried other editors and they don't have any issues. Upgraded from VMWare Fusion 5 to 6. Same issue. Not sure where this is originating.
bobbthebuilder

Postby btm1 on Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:04 am

I'm having the exact same problem... this is very frustrating. I've switched to using BBedit for now as I really don't think this is a VM ware fusion issue... if it were than fusion would have the same issue reading a file that BBedit saved. I have to put //FOO or put a new linebreak at the end of every file in ST to get my files to save. Although I will note that I suppose now that I think of it this could have something to do with VM ware fusion because the very same issue is present in sublime text 2.
btm1

Postby adrienc on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:21 pm

Has anyone seen any correlation between the occurrence of this problem and the use of a solid-state drive (SSD)?

Last week I was just assisting a coworker who has this very issue. He has a MacBook Pro retina from 2013 (contains an SSD). This is a new setup and he's always had the bug. On the other hand, in the many months that I've been working on the same project, same tools, I never had the issue... Until I decided to switch to SSD for performance reasons. So now I have the same problem.

(The SSH received a clone copy of the contents of the HDD that I was using prior to the switch.)

Setup: OS X 10.9 + VMWare Fusion 6.0.2 (running Fedora 12) + Sublime Text 3.
Last edited by adrienc on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adrienc

Postby subhaze on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:46 pm

Has anyone seen any correlation between the occurrence of this problem and the use of a solid-state drive (SSD)?

I've been using ST 3 from some where around build 3015 till now on a SSD with no saving issues.
subhaze

Postby adrienc on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:54 pm

subhaze wrote:I've been using ST 3 from some where around build 3015 till now on a SSD with no saving issues.

Are we still talking about files found corrupted when accessed from within a virtual machine? (VMWare Fusion accessing the host's files through shared folders)
adrienc

Postby subhaze on Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:02 am

Sorry, I forgot to add "Not using a VM".

If there is a trial version of VMWare fusion I could try and do some testing this week/weekend to try and help narrow this issue down.
subhaze

Next

Return to Technical Support