Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Save not reliable

Re: Save not reliable

Postby narwhaljames on Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:29 pm

I, too, am having the exact issue. I run Ubuntu in a vm through vmware, and do my development in sublime on windows 7. I share a folder through VMWare to the vm to serve the content. It appears to be truncating the end of my files when I save in sublime text through windows, causing runtime errors when i run the source from the vm server in a windows browser.

I tried setting the sublime text file end setting to always be unix LF, but that didn't seem to help. Currently, I'm doing my development in the vm through sublime text installed there to bypass this problem. I'd like to move away from this so I can just use the vm as a server and to run commands.

Has anyone made any headway on this issue? It's baffling me.
narwhaljames

Postby narwhaljames on Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:41 pm

Apparently, switching to using an NFS share fixes this problem, so it looks like it's an issue with VMWares folder share. Using NFS is not an option since it only comes with Windows 7 Ultimate, and I'm not upgrading.
narwhaljames

Postby mwb1100 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:18 am

narwhaljames wrote:Apparently, switching to using an NFS share fixes this problem, so it looks like it's an issue with VMWares folder share. Using NFS is not an option since it only comes with Windows 7 Ultimate, and I'm not upgrading.

You might want to try an SMB share (which is Windows' native file sharing, so it's supported in all versions). In Linux it's supported by the Samba packages.
mwb1100

Postby jhouse153 on Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:13 am

Was there ever a solution to this?
jhouse153

Postby mwb1100 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:03 am

jhouse153 wrote:Was there ever a solution to this?

I personally haven't seen the problem, however there have been recent fixes to shared folders support in Workstation 10.0.2 (and Fusion 6.03 and probably Player 6.0.2). The following is from the release notes for Workstation 10.0.2:

• Reading and writing to a file using two threads with a shared folder has been improved.
    Resolved an issue about shared folder when the user read and write file using two threads.
  • Linux virtual machines access updated contents when using shared folders.
    Resolved an issue that caused Linux virtual machines to see stale file contents when using shared folders.
VMware Player 6.0.2 was released at the same time – I expect that the fixes mentioned above would apply even though they aren’t mentioned in the release notes for Player (does Player support shared folders?).

And this community post, https://communities.vmware.com/thread/4 ... 5&tstart=0, mentions that the fix is also in Fusion 6.0.3 even though the release notes don’t mention it.
mwb1100

Previous

Return to Technical Support