Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Sublime Text 3 is Slow

Sublime Text 3 is Slow

Postby Roflhouse42 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:58 pm

So i have been having issues with ST3 for a little while. It has this tendency to be ungodly slow. I run windows 8.1 but i found that it helps significantly if i run in windows 7 compatibility mode which is strange.

My main problem however is whenever i switch sublime to the foreground app(or just give it focus after not being my focus.) it chugs for a good 5-10 seconds. This is particularly annoying sense i run two monitors and it chugs if is switch between sublime windows. By chugs i means runs really slowly.

These two things might be a related items. If I select some text(constantly changing the amount i have selected) sublime chugs up to 20-30% cpu utilization which is very strange. Also if I have too many apps open sublime seems to be pushed to the background and get very little cpu time. Even if it is my foreground app. Theses priority problems have really made sublime unusable. I really really don't wanna switch to a different text editor but if they aren't address i kinda have to. especially sense i bought sublime like 2 months ago. These problems have been around for like 10 updates sense i switched.
Roflhouse42

Re: Sublime Text 3 is Slow

Postby qgates on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:14 am

Are you sure the problem isn't related to a plugin? If one of your plugins is leaking memory or stuck in a loop that'll result in what you describe. Try moving groups of your plugins to "ignored_packages". Failing that, try a portable install without any plugins.

Which build are you running.. the latest dev build?

Using the dev builds I'm not seeing what you describe here. Although I'm not running Windows 8.x I don't see an obvious reason why this would make a difference.
qgates

Postby Roflhouse42 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:34 am

list form so its short
1. I have tried with no addons. Same problem. Plus i use very popular plugins only. And only like 4 them. if they where the problem and i was messing up turning them off someone else would probably also report on in.
2. I am running the latest dev build on windows 8.1 64 bit.
3. the version of Sublime i am running is windows 64 bit. I am going to try the 64 bit portable version now.
4. I have a windows 7 machine and i dont see these problems either. But my main work machine is windows 8.1 and i am not changing my OS. I believe the problem is probably sublime's background mode is not really background. That is to say that sublime continues to try and queue up work but it get very little cpu time so when i switch back to sublime it has a bunch of work to catch up on. Or at least that is what it feels like.
5. sublime's memory utilization never goes past 200 mb. which for how many files i have open doesn't seem super unreasonable.

Something strange to note is that if i run ST3 in windows 8.1 64bit without compatibility mode set to win7 it never passes 5% cpu utilization. Which would be nice if it actually rendered more then 1 frame every second.
Roflhouse42

Postby Kaniken on Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:11 pm

Roflhouse42 wrote:Something strange to note is that if i run ST3 in windows 8.1 64bit without compatibility mode set to win7 it never passes 5% cpu utilization. Which would be nice if it actually rendered more then 1 frame every second.

Please PM me if you find a solution. For now I work around thing by turning off windows defender and antivirus (no other apps struggle with defender/antivirus, so this is an ST3 problem)
Kaniken

Postby Roflhouse42 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:40 pm

Switching to portable version seemed to help a bit but eventually it still has the same problem. Also I can't turn off windows defender because I use this at work and I have to have a virus scan.
Roflhouse42

Postby qgates on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:13 am

Perhaps Jon can take a look to see if there is some issue specific to Win 8.1. Does the problem go away if you disable indexing?
qgates

Postby Kaniken on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:08 am

qgates wrote:Perhaps Jon can take a look to see if there is some issue specific to Win 8.1. Does the problem go away if you disable indexing?

I noticed this on 8.0 and 8.1 and today I checked Win 7. All 64-bit, all with Defender and antivirus.

All have the problem, and it seems to go away if indexing is turned off. Also, turning off Defender and antivirus completely "solves" the problem. Just weird?
Kaniken

Postby Roflhouse42 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:44 pm

I just turned indexing off we will see if that helps. Is the indexing feature use for auto correct in C++? does it do anything in C++? if it doesn't i think this will be a solution i can live with.
Roflhouse42

Postby qgates on Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:14 am

Kaniken's post suggests that the problem is connected to Defender and/or the AV program in use. ST's indexer scans all the project files to build its database for symbol lookup so that you can jump to func definition etc.. It seems to work on several threads to achieve its ends quickly and works with most languages. Perhaps a good workaround is to configure the AV/Defender to skip any files requested for opening by sublime.exe. How you do this will depend on your AV, and I'm not sure with Defender; I use neither.

It may be that either <your particular AV> or Defender 8.1 is blocking sublime more vicously than Defender 7 or <another AV>
qgates

Postby Kaniken on Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:16 pm

qgates wrote:Kaniken's post suggests that the problem is connected to Defender and/or the AV program in use. ST's indexer scans all the project files to build its database for symbol lookup so that you can jump to func definition etc.. It seems to work on several threads to achieve its ends quickly and works with most languages. Perhaps a good workaround is to configure the AV/Defender to skip any files requested for opening by sublime.exe. How you do this will depend on your AV, and I'm not sure with Defender; I use neither.

It may be that either <your particular AV> or Defender 8.1 is blocking sublime more vicously than Defender 7 or <another AV>

I just found that indexing also doesn't work with my online back up program. Basically ST3 is useless for me right now :( It's not like i am going to turn off AV _and_ backup to edit files.

My theory is that ST3 goes haywire if external processes briefly need to lock files.

I downloaded 2.0.2 and it works fine, but I suppose ST2 doesn't do indexing at all?
Kaniken

Next

Return to Technical Support