Sublime Forum

Scrolling not working on Surface Pro 2

This is also a problem on my Surface 3. I installed Sublime Text 2 and scrolling worked, but when I disabled DPI scaling (by right-clicking the sublime text .exe and going to the Compatability tab) because it was blurry in Windows 8, the scrolling stopped working. This is a basic feature so I hope it gets working soon!

0 Likes

Just to keep this alive… it’s still not working as of the latest ST3

0 Likes

Hi guyz, same problem here on microsoft surface pro 3. Just can’t scroll with two fingers gesture. Really annoying !

Using SB3 build 3065.

0 Likes

Having the same issue on my surface pro 3. Pretty disappointing since I paid for the license for ST3. I recall earlier versions worked fine. I also have the same problem on my roommate’s acer tablet pc which is a ‘regular’ laptop. Both systems running windows 8.1 with all updates.

Will this be fixed?

0 Likes

Same for me.
I’m expecting a reply, whether it’s yes or no :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

0 Likes

I just purchased a new Dell xps 13 with the same issue. It seems like the common theme is the Microsoft precision trackpad. I just purchased Sublime Text 3 for the high DPI display, but am asking for a refund. It’s a shame, sublime text is such a great text editor, and they have traditionally been good about addressing issues.

0 Likes

Still not fixed with version 3 build 3070 x64.

Surface pro 3, Windows 8.1 x64

*PS The problem only appears with DPI scaling more or equal than 150%. If I set the scaling to something less than that, then scrolling works fine.

0 Likes

+1 same problem with new (2015) Dell xps 13.

I’m also using DPI scaling > 150% – it is needed for these higher DPI screens.

But, if I connect a mouse, the mouse wheel works normally for scrolling, only the touchpad has these issues.

0 Likes

I tried poking around to see any differences: I wrote a small program that uses windows SetWindowsHookEx (1) function to listen to mouse wheel events, to compare the difference in the events that came from an attached mouse and the touchpad.

I saw 2 differences:

• Touchpad: fine grained quantities in scrolling (in the MouseData parameter of the event)

• Normal USB Mouse: scrolled 120 (whatever the unit is), which is defined as a WHEEL_DELTA constant, a special value that defines a mouse wheel “click”

• Touchpad: Flags set to 0xFFFFFFFF – I think it indicates it is a generated signal, see LLMHF_INJECTED and LLMHF_LOWER_IL_INJECTED in (2).

• USB Mouse: Flags set to 0

Not sure if any of those mattered, so I tried converting the touchpad mousewheel events to equivalent events (using SetInput, see (3)), with the delta set to 120 – I wasn’t able to change the flags though. But that didn’t help …

Actually the curious thing is that if Sublime Text is selected, the touchpad (not the usb mouse) wheel events seem to disappear – nothing is sent to the hook registered with SetWindowsHookEx. Go figure …

In any case I tried some different DPI’s: 149 still didn’t work. But with 130 the scrolling works (and the events are there), so I stuck with that.

cheers

(1) msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar … 44959.aspx
(2) msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar … 44970.aspx
(3) msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar … 46310.aspx

0 Likes

Here’s an interesting discovery, tested both on a Surface Pro 2 and Surface Pro 3.

If you hide the menu bar (View -> Show/Hide Menu), scrolling with the Type Cover’s touchpad works just fine. Scrolling by using a finger on the touch screen still selects, rather than scrolls, however.

If you hit Alt to show the menu again, you’ll find that scrolling in the main window doesn’t work either. This makes me think that the menu eats the scroll events, instead.

However, as a work-around, hiding the menu will work.

0 Likes

[quote=“janpf”]I tried poking around to see any differences: I wrote a small program that uses windows SetWindowsHookEx (1) function to listen to mouse wheel events, to compare the difference in the events that came from an attached mouse and the touchpad.

I saw 2 differences:

• Touchpad: fine grained quantities in scrolling (in the MouseData parameter of the event)

• Normal USB Mouse: scrolled 120 (whatever the unit is), which is defined as a WHEEL_DELTA constant, a special value that defines a mouse wheel “click”

• Touchpad: Flags set to 0xFFFFFFFF – I think it indicates it is a generated signal, see LLMHF_INJECTED and LLMHF_LOWER_IL_INJECTED in (2).

• USB Mouse: Flags set to 0

Not sure if any of those mattered, so I tried converting the touchpad mousewheel events to equivalent events (using SetInput, see (3)), with the delta set to 120 – I wasn’t able to change the flags though. But that didn’t help …

Actually the curious thing is that if Sublime Text is selected, the touchpad (not the usb mouse) wheel events seem to disappear – nothing is sent to the hook registered with SetWindowsHookEx. Go figure …

In any case I tried some different DPI’s: 149 still didn’t work. But with 130 the scrolling works (and the events are there), so I stuck with that.

cheers

(1) msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar … 44959.aspx
(2) msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar … 44970.aspx
(3) msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar … 46310.aspx[/quote]

I think maybe you should hook the pointer messages introduced in Windows 8.

0 Likes

This problem is also present on a new Dell XPS13 with Precision Touchpad running Windows 8.1.

Hiding the menu doesn’t help for me. I haven’t tried decreasing the DPI, this is a 3200x1800 resolution display.

No response from the developers at all?

0 Likes

Issue was reported here. Still present with build 3081.

github.com/SublimeTextIssues/Core/issues/691

0 Likes

+1’ing this. We need this desperately. Touchscreen and touchpad support as well. Especially touchpad.

0 Likes

I’m an an Alienware QHD(2560x1440) touch display with a precision touchpad on Windows 8.1. The scrolling works when I switch to full screen (F11 on Windows), but stops working when I exit it. I’ve tried hiding and showing the menu while full screen and two finger scrolling still works.
Guess that’s a work around that could be used till we receive news from the developer :smile:

0 Likes

I’m on an Acer Aspire V5-573G (15.6" FHD) using Win8.1 and use dpi scaling of 1.25 and I’m trying to scroll with two-finger gestures on the touch pad. Neither hiding the menu nor enabling full screen or distraction free mode helps.

0 Likes

I second this. I’m on a Dell XPS13 (2015) with precision touchpad, using DPI-scaling. Paying licens.

This issue has been present for more than 18 months now without a fix. Come on…

0 Likes

I have to agree, how long will it take? I do pay for for license and here it is still not fixed after so many months! For the love of god, just fix this…

0 Likes

You’re not paying for support, you’re paying for the product as is at the time of purchase. It’s just nice of Jon to include updates for free.

0 Likes

Ohh, right - that’s perfectly good explanation! Perhaps they should mention on the main page that their editor is having hard time scrolling properly…

Also, no, it’s not nice to include updates for free - it’s mandatory, especially if they are bug fixes. However, having extra contents is nice and not mandatory. Do you see the difference between these two? Especially if one bug basically makes the whole editor useless and hard to work with.

0 Likes