Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Still problem with symbolic link-folders

Still problem with symbolic link-folders

Postby JerryWho on Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:47 pm

Hi,

if there is a symbolic to to another folder ST3 (and ST2) doesn't show the content of these symbolic linked folders in the sidebar.

Setting up a test scenario is simple:

Code: Select all
mkdir test
cd test
ln -s folder2 folder1
mkdir folder2
touch folder2/file1.txt
touch folder2/file2.txt
ln -s folder2 folder3

Opening test in ST3 shows only in folder1 files. folder2 und folder3 are empty (though the "real" folder is folder2). The console shows something like
scan: /longpath/test/folder2 has been seen before, skipping (using inode) previous path: /longpath/test/folder1 inode: 78343972
scan: /longpath/test/folder3 has been seen before, skipping (using inode) previous path: /longpath/test/folder1 inode: 78343972

The inode numbers are as follows
78343971 folder1
78343972 folder2
78343975 folder3

I guess that's because of performance issues. But I would like to see the real folder with files if I have to decide (would like to see all folders with files - though).
If you look at the inodes you can see that folder2 was seen first but folder1 is selected. That seems strange.

I found the following threads
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14446&p=54827&hilit=follow_symlinks#p54827
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7142#p33432
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15394&p=58084&hilit=symlink#p58084

So I've tried everything with "follow_symlinks" and "ignore_inodes" -- without success.
I'm using Mac OS X Mountain Lion.

Any ideas?
TIA, JW
JerryWho

Re: Still problem with symbolic link-folders

Postby JerryWho on Wed May 07, 2014 7:56 am

Since the guys from Sublime doesn't react here (even I have paid for sublimetext) I was looking for an alternative -- and I found atom (https://atom.io/)
It looks like a sublimetext clone, it can handle symbolic links -- and it's for free!
JerryWho

Postby qgates on Fri May 09, 2014 2:51 am

Well I have just tried this out in Linux Mint with ST3, and everything behaves as expected. The linked folders correctly appear as real folders in the sidebar and expand to show their files. The indexer also seems to behave correctly across these symlink'd folders as well.

So probably the reason you're getting no replies is because no-one sees the problem.

1. If you're using "old" project files, try a blank sublime window then just dragging the folder in again. Option "follow_symlinks" is specific to folder entries within project files afaik, and the setting won't be added automatically to old project files, but will with newly created and saved projects.

2. Failing that, try a virgin, portable copy of ST3. There might be some interference from a plugin or something.

(using build 3061 of ST3)

:)
qgates

Postby JerryWho on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:13 pm

Well I have just tried this out in Linux Mint with ST3, and everything behaves as expected. The linked folders correctly appear as real folders in the sidebar and expand to show their files. The indexer also seems to behave correctly across these symlink'd folders as well.

So probably the reason you're getting no replies is because no-one sees the problem.

As I wrote I'm using Mac OS X and not Linux. So mabye that's the reason for the difference.

Meanwhile I upgraded to Mac OS X Mavericks -- the problem still exists.

And I'm really disappointed by the sublime text-team that there isn't any support for this paid software!
JerryWho

Return to Technical Support