Sublime Forum

Distribute license to many OS X machines

I have a site license for work and would like to distribute the license key and automate the sublime text 3 installation on our mac computers. Is there a mechanism or suggested way to do this? We can’t just email the key to everyone because we a) don’t want people to use the key outside of work b) want an automated way to install and license the software on any machine without user interaction.

Please let me know if this is currently possible or if we will have to make custom scripts/automation tools to do the installation.

Thank you

0 Likes

Have a look for the license file (Data/Local/License.sublime_license), which will most likely be in binary. You can overwrite this file with a simple text file that contains only your license text. I guess that would be the simplest way to distribute the license…include this file with the installation. You might have issues due to the fact that some of the directories and files are only created the first time Sublime text is opened…

0 Likes

With sublime text 2 license that file is text and can be replaced without any problem. For 3 the file is binary and get’s generated when you type in the license. At that point it is locked to the host and can’t be copied from one machine to another. I tried deleting the data directory, putting the plain text file in place and launching sublime text again but it still shows it’s unregistered and requires typing in the license.

Is there a way to generate that file from the command line so it can be scripted?

0 Likes