Sublime Forum

License installation (Silently)

Hi,
I just purchased 5 licenses.

I would like to know if there is another way to register the license other way than by openning Sublime/Help/EnterLicense ?
I would like to register the license by GPO for specific users on our network…

For the installation of sublime itself, I figured that SublimeSetup.exe /SILENT worked… witch is perfect…
But still, I would need to register the software without any user interaction / without providing them the license key itself…

Any idea ?

Thanks,

Francois.

1 Like

If you save the license key as plain text to %APPDATA%\Sublime Text 3\Local\License.sublime_license, then Sublime Text will start up already licensed. If you’re using Sublime Text 2, the path is %APPDATA%\Sublime Text 2\Settings\License.sublime_license

2 Likes

Lost license key, and email inactive anymore
Licensing across multiple Linux hosts

I am also trying to do this for a department in the company I work for that purchased 20 licenses. Saving as a plain text appears to no longer work for the 3083 build of Sublime Text 3.

Is there any other way to register it silently now?

1 Like

The above instructions should still work.

You can verify the path to License.sublime_license file via entering the license key in the GUI. This will write to the same file, but it will use a binary format that’s specific to the local machine. However, the license key will be successfully read from that file if it’s in either the binary or plain text format.

1 Like

Lost license key, and email inactive anymore
Issue with portable license keys in ST3 Build 3143

I did try that and I see that it does create the file in that location. We are using roaming profiles though so it’s under:
C:\Users\adent\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 3\Local\License.sublime_license It is showing as a SUBLIME_LICENSE file and binary.

However if I try to move it to one of the other machines that need the license they still show up as unregistered.

1 Like

Auto link to latest build?

Yep - when the file is in the binary format, it will only work on the machine it was entered on.

You need to replace that file with the license key in plain text, there are two ways to do this:

1. Manually replace the file with a plain text one containing the license key. This can be a bit finicky with regards to line breaks etc. If it’s giving you issues, you can:

2. Download the portable version of Sublime Text, and enter the license key there. The license key will then be saved to the subdirectory Data\Local in plain text (the portable version always saves the license key as plain text). You can then copy this version of License.sublime_license to the desired location.

1 Like