Sublime Forum

Multiple instances of Sublime

I use projects heavily in Sublime. Every dev project I work on uses it’s own Sublime project. I also work on these concurrently meaning. Given my workflow I will now do the following:

Start first instance for project1 “subl --add /proj1/proj1.sublime-project”
Now I can start a new window for project2 “subl -n --add /proj2/proj2.sublime-project”

Both windows come up and the tabs for each project will come up correctly. However the side bar for project2 will show project1’s folders. In addition the two windows will share plugin session which will make it near impossible for the plugins I write to know which window to interract with. Like for instance one plugin gives me the option to tell sublime from an external source to open a file on a specific position.

My next issue is when closing both Sublime instances and starting over. This time I open project2 first using “subl --add /proj2/proj2.sublime-project”. This results in Sublime opening with the correct tabs open but the side bar will still display the folders belonging to project1.

Is there a way to have multiple instance different projects workflow work in Sublime. I also tried the --project option but this keeps opening multiple windows which is not a desired side effect.

Ideally I would want to open two completely separate instances of Sublime that does not share any kind of session for windows/projects/plugins. Is this a bug or is it not possible to work with multiple separate Sublime windows?

Running Ubuntu 14.04.1 and Sublime 3 Build 3065

0 Likes

Hi all.

I second this question, I would also highly appreciate the ability to run multiple instances of SublimeText which would not affect each other.
Could anybody respond to this question?

Thanks a lot.

0 Likes

It’s a real nuisance having to close and open different projects when I need to find some code I wrote in a previous job. PLEASE implement the ability to have multiple projects open in multiple instances of Sublime Text.

0 Likes

I don’t know if this a bug specific to Linux, but at least this work for Windows: each instance of Sublime has its own project. And they do not interfere with each other.

0 Likes

I might use --project instead of --add. --add is supposed to add directories to the current window, and might be getting confused when used with -n flag.

0 Likes