Sublime Forum

After ST 3 update, subl command is not working as expected

Hey guys, after the last update, my subl command is not opening files anymore. I just open the sublime, but without the folder or files that I want.
Anyone with the same problem?

Using Mac OSX Yosemite

0 Likes

Subl . no longer works in latest update

Yep, am experiencing this on OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) as well. Not sure if it’s isolated to Yosemite, or OS X in general – perhaps someone else can confirm.

Same behaviour for both files and folders when launching from Terminal, i.e. typing subl or subl just opens the default Sublime Text application without opening the file/folder I specified.

0 Likes

It’s still working for me (OS X 10.9.4; Sublime 3065).

0 Likes

I am having the same issue with the OS X 10.9.4 & Sublime 3065

The subl command just opens a blank window (or last opened project) - but does not open a window of local files if passed in a relative path argument, i.e. “subl .”

0 Likes

Think I’ve fixed it…

• Re-downloaded Sublime Text (Build 3065)

• Extracted Sublime Text.app
    to my Desktop

• Ran the following command (you may need to use sudo
    ):

cp "~/Desktop/Sublime Text.app/Contents/SharedSupport/bin/subl" /usr/local/bin/

And now everything seems to be working as expected.

0 Likes

Hey guys, I figure out a way to fix. Just create the LINK again…

$ rm ~/bin/subl
$ ln -s “/Applications/Sublime Text.app/Contents/SharedSupport/bin/subl” ~/bin/subl

:smile:

0 Likes

I came here because I also had trouble with my subl command. I did delete the old link and make a new one as suggested here. Now opening files works fine. But opening directories is still an issue.

I still get blank screens whether i’m in the folder and type subl . or if I am somewhere else and give absolute path to the folder i.e. subl ~/path/to/folder.
It opens a blank screen but I notice that the name of the folder I was trying to open becomes the name of the empty document window that is opened.

I luckily still have the .dmg for 3059 so I will see if that still works.

UPDATE:
I tried the suggestion to redownload the disk image and reinstall it, copying the subl binary instead of creating a link to it. I can now pass folders with the subl . command. Thanks.

0 Likes

Is someone from Sublime going to fix this issue? Or respond?

0 Likes

I’m having the same issue here and reinstalling ST3, removing and recreating the ~/bin/subl link doesn’t do the trick. I also tried the cp version of the fix.

I’m on Sublime Text 3065 on Mac OS X 10.8.5 , when I run subl -v I get Sublime Text Build 3059. That difference in version between the application and subl could be significant?

I’d really appreciate some recognition of this issue or a response from the developers. I’ve found it quite frustrating. It prompted me to wipe my app data, which I stupidly forgot to backup. Obviously that’s my fault, but just shows how messing with these irritating bugs can be a snowballing set of issues for users.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide on this :smile:

0 Likes

upgrading to yosemite messes up some stuff - not sure what, but add the following line to your ~/.bash_profile

export PATH=$PATH:~/bin

then reload your the file with
source ~/.bash_profile

and it should work
this fixed it for me

0 Likes

I just started having this problem, again. None of the recommendations in this post have helped me. Any more suggestions?

0 Likes

Are you using Tmux?

0 Likes

[quote=“weslly”]

Are you using Tmux?[/quote]

I am and have verified that outside of tmux, subl works perfectly. Opening files and folders works as it used to.

This appears to be something about the recent new builds as i’ve used tmux for years with subl and it only recently stopped working, i think coinciding with build 3080.

0 Likes

Try this workaround: Subl doesn't open the file

0 Likes

LOL I had just discovered that and was about to post. It does indeed resolve the issue. Thanks

0 Likes

I “fixed” the problem with opening folders (i.e. subl .) and an empty window popping up by enabling View > Side Bar > Show Side Bar

I say “fixed” because this behaviour is completely normal, when a solder is opened it puts the files in the side bar but doesn’t actually open any of the files in the folder.

1 Like