Sublime Forum

Distraction-Free mode with top/bottom padding

Is there an easy way of adding top and bottom padding/margin to the editable area in sublime (when in distraction-free mode)??

0 Likes

Not that I know of. Not sure if it could be done with a plugin. What’s your use case?

My Typewriter plugin provides typewriter scrolling, which is kind of like having a margin at the bottom. It works well for prose writing. Is this kind of thing useful? (There are, to be fair, a couple other typewriter plugins which I list in the README.)

Alex

Edit: mistyped the URL

0 Likes

I’d love to know how to do this as well :smile:

0 Likes

I’d love to know how to do this as well :smile:

0 Likes

If Jon is listening, this might be a pretty straightforward thing to add via a config option.

:smile:

0 Likes

quodlibet,

You’re plugin is cool, but you shouldn’t have removed the mode that lets the cursor be inserted by mouse click. If I’m scrolling text by mouse wheel, I’m going to want to be able to insert by mouse click. My brain doesn’t wrap around this situation any other way. Anyway to put that back so I can still get a non centered typewriter scolling effect while still maintaining all my navigational capabilities?

all,

I generally don’t care about a top margin, but I usually just use a second pane below (Origami, Origami, Origami) to provide my margin against the bottom. My themes are uniform in that there’s no break between panes, regardless of whether I’m using light or dark, and when I’m dark, I’m generally using an AHK script executable called opacity.exe to get quick access to making Sublime transparent (I have a selection of preferred backgrounds as my desktop slideshow beneath), so I’m mostly just making that bottom panel as small as possible as that is enough to keep the text up out of the taskbar that shows through at that point.

And yeah, I am a prose only user of Sublime, I’m almost ridiculously OCD about the aesthetics of my writing environment, and kinda opinionated about all that, so definitely YMMV.

Kensai

0 Likes

@Kensai, it’s really good to hear from you after all this time. I hope the writing is going well.

I’m not sure what you mean by:

Can you please elucidate?

Alex

0 Likes

Thanks, Alex. The writing has been hit or miss since the holidays, but NaNo was a big win this time around and things are starting to wind up again, now.

As for my meaning, I’m going to quote from the plugin’s changelog:

"0.3.0 - The mouse is now disabled in both Scrolling and Typing mode. "

I can see the point of that in Typing mode (that makes it like a typewriter without a backspace key or something like MomentumWriter from BlackObelisk), but in Scrolling mode, all its doing is providing the plugin with a huge downside to its use. I’d like to have the variable scroll point functionality the plugin offers (centering is just too high for me, so I’ve not been able to fall back to Bufferscroll’s typewriter scrolling here, or really use the typewriter scrolling capabilities of any editor, such as FocusWriter or Scrivener).

Basically all I’m hunting for in such a plugin is a fixed scroll point that is 1/4th to 1/3rd the way up the screen, without taking any of the usual functionality away, especially not something that gets used all the time, such as setting the insertion point via mouse click.

Todd

0 Likes

Dang. Mouse support was added a year ago: github.com/alehandrof/Typewriter/pull/7

I just forgot to merge it into the main branch. Today or tomorrow there wil be a new version up that allows mouse clicking and so on.

0 Likes

OK. I’ve updated merged the changes and updated the README to identify the changes ahd thank Rahul Ramadas, who added mouse support.

Todd have a look now and let me know if the plugin works for you.

0 Likes

0.4.0 doesn’t seem to be up yet. All I’m finding updated are the messages and the preferences script, even on github. Something’s not done yet, though the updated readme and your discussion Rahoul Ramadas make it seems as if you’ve gotten what I was hoping for accomplished. Its just not hanging out on wbond or github (not that I would know how to update it properly without package control ;-p ).

0 Likes

Thanks for insisting; I was careless yesterday. I forgot to push up the tag to the repository which is how you trigger a new release on Package Control. It should update any hour now (Package Control hasn’t picked up the change yet, but it should in a bit).

BTW, the code is, as of yesterday, up-to-date on GitHub. It only looks like it hasn’t changed in ten months because it hasn’t. I did a bit of clean up yesterday, but Rahoul cracked this nut last June.

Let me know if you run into any trouble.

0 Likes

Thanks Alex and Rahoul.

It was very nice to be greeted back to ST this afternoon with a Package Control notice for you plugin. It took me a moment toggling about to get the right mode firing, but things look exactly right now.

Wonderful.

No stress testing on it yet, but that’ll come soon enough.

Thanks, guys.

Todd

0 Likes

Bump… is there still no way to configure a border at the top and bottom?

0 Likes