Sublime Forum

ST3 Updates break permissions for other users (Windows)

Updates 3068, 3069, 3070, and 3071 have been a problem on my Windows 8.1 systems because they set the permissions on the “C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 3” folder such that only the userid that runs the update can access ST3.

The problem is that the folder is stripped of permissions for the built-in local group “Users”. All the other folders in “Program Files” and “Program Files (x86)” include “Users” in the list of entities that have security ACLs, but ST3 does not.

After each of the update this year I have to manually add the “Users” group back to the ST3 folder and give “Users” permission to “Read & Execute”, “List folder contents”, and “Read”. If I don’t do that only one user is permitted to use ST3 on that system.

I’ve been using ST3 from the beginning and ST2 before that. It wasn’t until either update 3067 (in Jan 2015) that I started seeing this problem. Or may it was only as recent as 3068. Sorry I can’t remember (and I thought the problem would be picked up and fixed by now).

(FYI, I run at least two users on each of my systems. One is in the Administrators group and can install software or make system configuration changes; I rarely log on as that user, typically only to install software. The other user is not in the Administrators group. I’m logged into that to do my normal development work and day to day computer stuff. Running as a standard user is a key defense against most malware; plus, many of my customer’s are forced to run with standard user account by their IT policies and so it’s important to be sure the software I develop can also run in that environment.)

0 Likes