Sublime Forum

Editing files with ST3 slow over SSHFS

I’m currently mounting remote server directories as local folders under OS X 10.10.3 and OSXFUSE + SSHFS. When trying to edit these files with ST3, simple edit operations are very slow. Even typing in characters has a 1-2 second delay before the characters appear in the document. Opening new files sometimes causes ST3 to hang for a minute.

In contrast, when opening the same files in vim (locally, on the SSHFS mount), editing them, and saving, I encounter no delays or problems.

Is there some reason I am encountering this slowness from ST3? How come vim does not encounter the same problems, in the same setting. Are there some configuration options I can set to avoid this? If the problem is plugin related, is there some way of troubleshooting which plugin is causing the bad behaviour?

Edit 1: I tried setting "atomic_save": false in my config, as suggested in some StackOverflow posts. This helped a little, but there are still lag problems, so it did not completely resolve the issue.

0 Likes

After playing around with different settings, I found out that GitGutter was causing the slowdown, and disabling it when working remotely solved the problem. I’ve flagged this as an issue on the GitGutter github.

0 Likes

I found that modific has the same issue, and probably for similar reasons since they largely have similar functions. Only by reading this thread and making that association, though, was I able to solve my problem as well.

Given 22 plugins, though, how does one determine which plugin is hitting the hardest?

0 Likes