Sublime Forum

ST3: sharing registration key

I have a small problem re-using my ST3 registration key among the computers I use (home desktop, work laptop, work desktop, all of which run Ubuntu). What I want is to have a shared configuration, so that, no matter which machine I log in to, I see the same plugins, keybindings, etc. My solution is to store the contents of ~/.config/sublime-text-N in my Dropbox account, and symlink it to ~/.config on each of the three machines. Then I rely on Dropbox syncing to keep the plugins, etc, up to date.

This pattern worked fine with ST2, but I’m having a difficulty with ST3: each time I start up on a different machine, ST3 is showing as “Unregistered”. If I add they key via the Help menu, that copy of ST3 shows itself as registered. Well and good. But if I then log in to another machine, even one which I’ve previously given the key to, it shows “Unregistered”. I add the key to that copy of ST3, it shows registered, but now when I go back to the first machine it’s showing as unregistered again.

Is there a reason why this is happening? Is there anything I can do to prevent it?

Thanks,
Ian

0 Likes

I think you can create a file named “Packages/…/Local/License.sublime_license” and put the content of the license there. Sublime will notice the license is there when opening and use it.

0 Likes

Yes, ~/.config/Local/License.sublime_license is where ST3 stores the license key when I enter it. And it is getting synced across my machines by Dropbox.

Update: I’ve improved my setup by being more selective about which folders are shared. Rather than putting all of sublime-text-3 into Dropbox, I now only selectively share the directories under that location, specifically Packages and Installed packages. It doesn’t make for quite as seamless an experience as ST2, since the installations don’t share sessions. But at least it’s now remembering that I have registered the software!

0 Likes

What I tried to mean is to put in there the plain text license you received not the binary thing that ST creates.

0 Likes

Yeah tito is correct, the binary is bound to the computer it’s installed on, if it’s plain text it’s not.

0 Likes