Sublime Forum

Starting and Having Trouble with Packages

Some peers suggested that I switch to Sublime for my AngularJS/Javascript development. So on starting a new job, I made the switch. My work also includes CSS and HTML, and soon Python. Will use Sublime on a MacBook at work and Ubuntu for home. Purchased Sublime Sunday night for personal use, on both platforms. So far, I’m struggling to get started and would like to get 3 questions answered:

1. Your “Download” page, sublimetext.com/2, says Sublime v3 is in Beta and the current version is 2.02. Other things I’ve seen on the internet seem to suggest that v3 is the current version. I downloaded the v2.02 TAR, but did not install it yet at home. Been trying out v2.02 on the Mac for about 2-3 weeks. Is v2.02 indeed the current version, or v3?

2. I want to install a PlugIn for inserting DocBlocks in code. GitHub’s spadgos/sublime-jsdocs, a.k.a. DocBlockr @ packagecontrol.io/installation. Not sure I got it right though. What do I have to do to get DocBlockr installed? Particularly trying on the Mac, not Ubuntu.

3. After the first two questions are handled, I should have figured out package installation well enough to load a basic syntax checker for source code. My previous IDE gave me useful red-squiggled-underlines on syntax errors. There must be a similar package/plug-in for Sublime that does that. I saw one that puts a red dot on the left margin of an offending line. That would suffice nicely. Any recommendations on which package/plug-in to choose for this?

Hope to get some help here. Can’t have too many semi-productive days like today. Thanks.

0 Likes

1. If you’re not seeing it, it probably didn’t install properly or at all. Did you have a message box telling you to restart Sublime after running the (PackageCtrl) install script in the console of ST?
0 Likes

1. I highly recommend using 3 beta, it’s more stable than the old and EOL’d 2 and has more features (obviously).

2. like dubeg_01 said, it seems the installation didn’t go smoothly. After running the command, check the console for potential errors. You should be receiving a prompt to restart ST.

3. I use SublimeLinter and the corresponding siblings for the languages I use.

0 Likes

Thanks for the feedback guys. Will switch to v3 and take a good hard look at SublimeLinter.

0 Likes