Sublime Forum

ST3 (3095): Sidebar not showing workspace files

Hey Folks,

I have a weird problem and cannot figure out what’s the issue.

I’m playing around with project configurations. One of the things I tried was excluding all sublime-workspace and sublime-project files in my project folder from the sidebar, which worked fine.

I just deleted all the projects I messed around with and started a new, clean one. Weirdly enough this project doesn’t show me the sublime-workspace files in the sidebar (it does show the sublime-project file, though). Why could this be? I haven’t edited the project file at all.

My folder structure is as follows:

projectFolder
--- file1
--- file2
--- projectFiles
     --- project.sublime-project 
     --- (workspace1.sublime-workspace) --> Not shown in sidebar.
     --- (workspace2.sublime-workspace) --> Not shown in sidebar.
--- file3
--- fileN

project.sublime-project contains:

{
	"folders":

{
			"path": "/Users/.../projectFolder"
		}
	]
}

Any ideas what could be going on?

Take care,
Simon-Claudius

1 Like

Hello,

I have the same question as Simon.

Opening the project doesn’t bring up the workspace file, although it does exist in the folder outside Sublime Text.

Reply will be very much appreciated.

0 Likes

The setting file_exclude_patterns is a list of file patterns that should be excluded from the sidebar. One of the items that it includes by default is "*.sublime-workspace", which drops those files from the sidebar:

// folder_exclude_patterns and file_exclude_patterns control which files
    // are listed in folders on the side bar. These can also be set on a per-
    // project basis.
    "folder_exclude_patterns": [".svn", ".git", ".hg", "CVS"],
    "file_exclude_patterns": ["*.pyc", "*.pyo", "*.exe", "*.dll", "*.obj","*.o", "*.a", "*.lib", "*.so", "*.dylib", "*.ncb", "*.sdf", "*.suo", "*.pdb", "*.idb", ".DS_Store", "*.class", "*.psd", "*.db", "*.sublime-workspace"],

You can get at the default settings from Preferences -> Settings - Default, copy the default value of that option (it’s near the bottom of the file), and then paste it into your user preferences file (Preferences -> Settings - User) modified to not include that spec if you want your work space files to be in the sidebar.

If you’re on a Mac, the preferences menu is under the Sublime Text part of the menu.

5 Likes

Hi OdaNurd,

The resource I am following to start with probably shows screen shots from previous versions of Sublime Text; since this is a new version I am using now (3), then it must be different. Also, after your nuke reply, I call it nuke because everything goes quiet after that (such a good answer =), I searched Google and got this definition:

“Projects in Sublime Text are made up of two files: the sublime-project file, which contains the project definition, and the sublime-workspace file, which contains user specific data, such as the open files and the modifications to each”

Then knowing that I can always use your commands to get it to show, I will just leave it as it is now, knowing also the definition above I might not need it to show in projects immediately anyway.

0 Likes

Thanks very much!

0 Likes

Glad I could be of some assistance!

For the most part the workspace file isn’t too interesting to get at; it stores things like the panel layouts, recently opened files, and stuff like that. So you’re not missing out on too much. :slightly_smiling:

0 Likes