Sublime Forum

Sublime Text 3 crashes on start up

This is only an issue with SB3. SB2 works fine. When i open SB3, it works for about 2 seconds before saying its not responding. Not only will it crash, but it will effect my entire computer. It will cause all my applications to be slow and unresponsive and stop my internet from working for quite some time and its a pain to even close since it causes task manager to freeze. It will eventually work if i keep it open for about 10 minutes but its a real pain. Ive tried uninstalling. Didnt work. Dont think its a memory problem since it has this effect even when SB3 is the only thing running. I do have a ton of packages installed if that means anything. Help would be appreciated, thank you.

EDIT: the same thing happens after i wait for 10 minutes then try to make a new python file.

0 Likes

Sounds very like something I get quite a bit there. I am just a web designer, but I can give you advice which worked, coming from several friendly engineers a while back. Your issues partly may result from poor data store health - that’s the system area in Windows where Core Services thread throught SXS directory runtimes. Same general process on Mac. Now, you did not indicate your OS, but no problem, just give you two pretty much identical ‘system’ cleanups. First, please get rid of your corrupted ST installation. Uninstall and delete anything Sublime floating around Windows Program and App Data folders, or Mac Appplication folders.

System data store cleanup for Windows need two commands, entered in the admin command prompt:
sfc /scannow
dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth [then dism again, but with full SXS scan…]
dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth [and, if you have original Windows installation media, D: is the drive containing that media…]
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth /image:D:\sources\install.wim
[if 3 runs don’t allow sfc to fix corruption, use boot to installation media and press Shit-F10, or boot to connected command prompt and use following sfc command]
sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows [followed by dism fun-and-games]
Always run sfc and then immediaely run dism, is 3 sfc dism runs from boot command prompt unable to fix corruption, MUST reinstall Windows.

Reinstall for Mac is somewhat more dubious: the two utilities run from Mac simply hang, system crashes, reinstall of OSX only recourse.
Mac marshmallow-in-bondage OS is much more simple system data cleanup.
You just need to click 2 links provided by Apple, if problems not fixed just click twice again, 3 dances and reinstall as indicated.
Open Finder, Applications and search Disk Utility - open it and select MacintoshHD child.
Verify disk - and then Verify disk permissions. Easy.

As for Sublime, when you reinstall, do not install any packages for a few weeks - then gradually reintroduce, and notice how some of them are poorly executed on your system.
Good luck.

0 Likes

Er… sorry. Errata:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth:D:\sources\install.wim

0 Likes

I was running a windows 7 machine, which those cmd codes are not compatible for. Figured it was time to upgrade so I just installed Windows 10. Sb3 works fine now, however i deleted the appdata. Should I still wait a few weeks before reintroducing packages?

0 Likes