Sublime Forum

Goto Definition in project while using 2 column layout

I have a project set up in Sublime Text 3. If it’s of any use, this project is entirely in Python, and I have a workspace set up for it as well.

My Sublime Text GUI window is set up to have a 2 column layout. In the first column, I have a script (“the calling script”) that references a function that is defined in another script that I have open in the second column (“the definition script”). If I put my cursor over the function in the calling script in the first column and then do a “Goto Definition”, rather than positioning the cursor on the function definition in the definition script that is open in the second column, Sublime will open another copy of the definition script in the first column. So now I have two tabs of the same definition script open, one in the first column, and one in the second column.

My question - is this behavior by design? Is there a way to get the goto definition to behave in a way that it will find the definition in the script open in the second column as opposed to opening another tab with the same script in the column from which the GoTo definition was initially called?

1 Like