Sublime Forum

How do you create a project?

I must be an idiot, but for the life of me I can’t figure out how to create/save a project folder. I’m trying to do something similar to TextMate, where a parent folder is saved as a project I can then open to edit all files inside. In Sublime I open a folder, save a .sublime-project file, then double-click on the saved file. All I get is the markup of the .sublime-project file itself (not exactly helpful).

So then I tried the “Add Folder to Project” action. Did that, saved, double-clicked, blasted .sublime-project file view again with no folder linked.

What am I doing wrong? Can’t find anything in the documentation that explains how this is accomplished.

0 Likes

Sublime remembers the latest projects you’ve saved, so to switch between them you use the Prompt to Select Project (Ctrl+Alt+P).

.sublime-project files are not registered as any specific file type with your OS, so they open as plain files in sublime. Only .sublime-package files do have an associated command as far as Sublime is concerned.

0 Likes

When I open the Project menu with no other documents open “Select Project” is disabled, and “Recent Projects” shows nothing (just “Clear Items”).

Am I misinterpreting the purpose of Projects? Just looking for a way to setup some kind of bookmark I can open a parent folder of content for editing.

0 Likes

Unfortunately you have to have a window open for the Project menu to work. Just open a new window and you should be good to go.

0 Likes

Got it. Thanks everyone. Do wish the Project methodology was a little clearer, but this’ll do.

0 Likes